Ebrake issues revisited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Renegade04

Reaction score
As some of you may have read in a earlier post of mine Ive been having problems with my ebrake not engauging till the handle is all the way up. If you pump the pedal a few times b4 pulling the handle or park in reverse it stops at 4 clicks.
Ive revisited the issue with the dealer on every service visit for the last 24k miles. At the first several visits they said they adj the parking brake . Still had problems with it. After the 12k adj warr was up on 2 ocassions "it was working to mfg specs".
Then I was charged $45 to adj them. Again still wasnt right.
I finally went to my salesperson and got the keys to a 04 Renegade they still had on the lot. I went with my Service Advisor to the new Renegade and compared to mine. He agreed it wasnt right and ordered brake cables.
I told him it more than likely would not make a diff as I believed it to be either a adjuster or brake booster issue yet he insisted on repl them anyway. (note I am a service advisor for a VW dealer so I do have a bit of diag experience).
Repl last Weds and took Jeep home. Still not right. I finally got tired of it not being right and spoke to the service Mgr.
He is going to look at Jeep with me this afternoon to see whats going on.
I have all my maint recods with me to show whats been done. Am going to see if I can get my $$ back for the "adjustment"done prev. I will update later tonite with any info i get from the Service Mgr.......

04 Renegade Silver
L.O.S.T.#000467
RB1,Sirius,Clearshield,K&N,Uconnect,more stuff

TRAILN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine had a very similar problem and I fixed it but I don't think it will help you considering I have shoes and you have disks.

Your belief of the brake booster at fault is nearly impossible considering its two different systems. Its either going to be the adjuster or the parking brake shoes themselves

TRAILN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did this problem start before or after you installed the aftermarket e-brake handle?

Renegade04

Reaction score
Yea I realized that the brake booster isnt the issue after I posted..... This has been ongoing since new... The ebrake handle hasnt been installed as of just yet to ensure itr isnt blamed as the culprit of this issue....

Renegade04

Reaction score
Well I got my Renegade back today and the ebrake is PERFECT!!!!!! they repl the racheting mechanism which incudes the ebrake handle itsself and dam if it doesnt fully enguage in 3 clicks vs 9+ clicks before......
Finally the 24k miles and 1 year annoyance is over.....

2003KJ

Reaction score
Noticed the same thing on mine. If I put it up say 4-6 clicks, it will not engage all the way. I can be on a hill and take my foot off the normal brake and start rollin down the hill, or if i'm on flat land, I can put it in drive and start idleing down the road! I have to jerk the thing all the way up for it to fully engage, then when i go to get in later, I almost can't get the thing back off again...lol. Now reverse however, works very well. 2-3 clicks and it's on for good. But I back into my garage every night, go alotta good that does me. Plus i back into my spaces at work.

Might have to bring this issue up with the dealer.