ebrake help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hello everyone any help would be appriciated, I am stumped I changed my ebrake cable and cant get it to work I adjusted the star wheel so there is drag with the wheels off the ground when I engage the hand brake the wheel lock can not turn it by hand, I have checked the shoes and they move out when handbrake is pulled, I have cleaned and greased the brake actuator it moves freely but when I put it in drive the jeep rolls forward with absolutely not resistance. Any ideas? thank you

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone any help would be appriciated, I am stumped I changed my ebrake cable and cant get it to work I adjusted the star wheel so there is drag with the wheels off the ground when I engage the hand brake the wheel lock can not turn it by hand, I have checked the shoes and they move out when handbrake is pulled, I have cleaned and greased the brake actuator it moves freely but when I put it in drive the jeep rolls forward with absolutely not resistance. Any ideas? thank you
Does it hold the vehicle in place in neutral? If so it is working fine. These are not ment to slow down or stop a vehicle from moving under power or while rolling. They are just a hold brake.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The handbrake mechanism at the lever is supposed to be self-adjusting....there is a round spring which acts like a clutch to take up any play.

When my 2002 Export Diesel...with drum brakes at the rear...gave problems with this mechanism they replaced it which fixed things for about a month!

This mechanism is total rubbish...there have been many complaints against it!

I have just gotten used to always leaving my gearbox...manual transmission...in first gear whenever I park but this is supposed to an "Emergency Brake" so I do not know how Daimler Chrysler in those days got away with this. My Jeep would never pass a roadworthy test with this inoperative brake but fortunately here in SA there is no such thing as an annual checkup.....you can drive your vehicle forever until you need to sell it!

There are posts on how you fix this mechanism for a while. Remove the covers around the brake lever. There is a flat horizontal piece of metal that comes into view.
With a large screwdriver firmly hold this flat metal section upwards while pulling up on the lever....you will feel this metal section fighting against you.
Hopefully now the brake will work for a while!

I read one post a long time ago where one owner swore that spraying Q40 all over the complete mechanism fixed his problem...I have never tried it myself.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the owner's manual, is it actually listed an "emergency brake" or a parking brake? I had always seen such things officially listed as parking brakes, not meant to be used as a replacement to the service brakes in an emergency (not that you couldn't or shouldn't try if you're on a runaway!)

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
My e-brake was worthless from the factory. I tightened the nuts that thread onto the cables at the bar they attach to behind the brake lever to get into a useful range. With the lever up three clicks I adjusted the star adjusters at each rear wheel to a slight drag and that gave me a good brake. I didn't know there was an automatic adjuster at the lever... Some ideas only work on paper.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are pulling up on the "Parking Brake" handle & it is not holding the Jeep...
You can try with the handle in down position, place a screwdriver thru the handle gap/ opening, pull up onto handle, while holding the adjuster back, then release downwards.
May have to try this a few times, to get it to where the handle is holding by the 3rd click.
61421[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

There are other adjustments in the FSM see brake section 5-29 /onward.
link:http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/2002JeepKJServiceManual.pdf

Attachments

• qYKaIKD.jpg
    qYKaIKD.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 0

[email protected]

Reaction score
thank you all well I check other posts and getting mixed info I live in Ontario and just bought this used and will have to get a safety check but info I am ready says the ebrake is only supposed to stop the jeep from rolling on a incline and is not supposed or designed to hold the jeep stationary if you put it drive when in neutral with the ebrake brake on I cannot push it but in drive without touching the gas it rolls freely I am assuming it should not but maybe I am wrong I will call the dealer and see what they are saying.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Have you tried backing up and applying it at a slow roll like 10 times? That's when the auto adjusters work. Mine will hold it in drive or reverse. I actually used it as an emergency brake a month ago on glare ice- it worked well. Mine on my driveway (not steep really) will hold with 3-4 clicks.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I put all brand new parts in 18 months ago and the parking brake still doesn't do diddly-squat.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put all brand new parts in 18 months ago and the parking brake still doesn't do diddly-squat.

I just replaced my rear rotors and pads... inspected rear parking brake components while in there.. I only have parking brake shoe backing plates.. all of the friction material is gone gone gone.

I may just leave it that way, probably works just as good as when new.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
To get mine to work, I just started using it daily and after about a month of solid use, it's been holding.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I drove a stick for most of my life. Mine gets engaged every time I put it in park, if only from force of habit.

Latest posts

Members online