DVD/Xbox Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farwellbooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I upgraded my in-Jeep entertainment system and put in a roof mount lcd with an Xbox and dvd player. The screen has picture-in-picture technology. The pic shows a concert in full screen and Burnout3 running in the smaller window. The headphones and controllers are wireless.

You must be registered for see images

More dome lights!!!! Initially I wired the dome lights to come on with the others but the BCM only allowed that a couple times. Now the screen domes come on by pushing a button on the monitor which is perfect for pax. Installing this thing with a sunroof and side curtain air bags was a NIGHTMARE. Would not recommend doing however w/o sunroof would be easier. Most all the side paneling, sunvisors, A-pillars, EVIC, sunroof trim, and pax grab handles had to be removed. Unfortunately I had to add the strap you see over the monitor to keep the screen latched. When offroad (and large pot-holes on road) the screen would occasionally come unlatched. I called Clarion and they have had a couple other complaints and they didn't have a solution. Slightly frustrating after a 20+ hour install. Anyhoo the strap works great.

Here's the Xbox in the back. The power and video cables stay in the Jeep and I just unplug them from the console if I want to use it elsewhere. The case has holes for the fan so the player can stay in it and not burn up.

I put the inverter where the jack used to go. It is wired straight to the
battery and I put a switch on the back of the center console just below the back window switches. Because the Xbox uses a regular hard drive you have to use a pure sine inverter otherwise you'll get noise in the video if you use a crappy inverter.

The dvd player is under the front pax. seat. The Xbox will also play dvds however with the split screen one can watch a dvd and another play Xbox. With the installed Soundgate auxilliary input device (no fm modulation!) you can listen to either source through the stereo too. Halo sounds amazing in the small Liberty cabin! The IR headphones will also broadcast either source if you want to hear another audio source in the cabin.

Edit=Silver: fixed picture links

04RkMtnKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome work. Love having the xbox in the car for trips. I recently went to Lansing MI and used my xbox with the screen that mounts on top of the box. I have upgraded my box with a 120 GB harddrive so have over 400 songs and a couple of movies with all my games on the drive. It was nice to drive for 12 hours one way and not have to switch a single game/cd/dvd. Anyways love the install, but how does the comtrollers operate wirelessly with the xbox in the back? Doesnt it have a sensor on the box or something?

farwellbooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
04RkMtnKJ said:
how does the comtrollers operate wirelessly with the xbox in the back? Doesnt it have a sensor on the box or something?

In the Xbox pic you can barely see the green receiver stuffed in the handle of the case. It doesn't have to be line of sight and works very well. Here is another pic of the Logitech controller and dongle http://shop.store.yahoo.com/justdeals/gsl9632790403.html The Logitech controller feels much better in my hands compared to the Xbox version...

About your hard drive upgrade... I've been reading a little on xbox-scene.com and seems there are lots of choices . Any web sites you recommend for doing this? All the modchips, dashboards, BIOS flashing etc. seems an easy way to destroy my Xbox.

[/url]

04RkMtnKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
farwellbooth said:
04RkMtnKJ said:
how does the comtrollers operate wirelessly with the xbox in the back? Doesnt it have a sensor on the box or something?

About your hard drive upgrade... I've been reading a little on xbox-scene.com and seems there are lots of choices . Any web sites you recommend for doing this? All the modchips, dashboards, BIOS flashing etc. seems an easy way to destroy my Xbox.

[/url]

Not sure if I did the quote part right or not, but as far as the chip and all the work a buddy of mine did it he had done around 60 boxes and has used a couple of different chips. Mine is a xenium xecuter2 and I believe the Bios is Avalaunch. I will double check with him for sure but I do know he gets them from xbox-scene. Also the chip he uses which is differnt from mine has a "disable mod chip" option which allows you to shut it off so you can go on Xbox live and they cant detect that your box is modded. Mine I cant get on xbox live with so I found a used box for cheap just for Live. Cant go without my Halo2. I will find out for sure details and let you know but I do know it is fairly simple to do. We did mine hammered one night in between bars.

Oh, is that wireless controller more like the S Controller or the original Duke= the bigger one.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome looking mods. I am getting the itch to do something like this, but alas it is just me, so I don't know what I would use it for....I just want to mod my KJ \:D/

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only problem with that is that I wouldn't want to drive!

Nice job, looks real cool. =D>