Dumb Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sleepyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep slicing sidewalls, not aired down, cheap to mid range tires. Would airing down prevent sidewall slicing on sharp bit of rock?

I know I need an actual quality tire but was curious.....

Jim

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Keep slicing sidewalls, not aired down, cheap to mid range tires. Would airing down prevent sidewall slicing on sharp bit of rock?

I know I need an actual quality tire but was curious.....

Jim

First things first , what type of tires have you tried so far ? Also what ply??

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the AT world Duratracs and any BFG's have known issues with sidewalls being a weak point.

For MT's again any BFG is known to have weak sidewalls unless you get into there red/blue label Krawlers but you won't being using them as the smallest they come is in 35" size and not street friendly.

I only know of 2 tires that have ultra cut resistance sidewalls and are street friendly MT's,one is the Goodeyear MT/R Kevlars and Interco Truxs MT's.Can vouch for both from personal experience that they don't cut easily even when abused.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Higher load range will probably be the answer to your problem. They just ride a bit stiffer.

Not necessarily. There's some very thin-sidewalled load D/E tires out there... presumably for ride comfort without undermining GVWR. Certain BFGs and michelins come to mind. Air-down these types and they bulge readily... easy pickins for sharp rocks. My Toyos (M55 or MT) and Goodyears (wrangler territory & duratrac) have had decently beefy sidewalls.

Best to consult mfr's data for specific sidewall construction.

Latest posts

Members online