Driver Tail Light Fuse blowing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ratman90

Reaction score
Hello, new Jeep owner for my daughter.
2004 Jeep Liberty Sport, 3.7 4wd
165k miles, 4th owner

I did a search and cannot find what I am looking for. Seems a lot of folks have this problem, but do not see many resolutions. Driver rear tailight keeps blowing the fuse. All other lights work, and the lights work on trailer connector save for the running/park lights.

at the 2:50 mark of this video you will see a wiring connector above the bundle of trailer wires. This is on drivers side behind bumper facade. The previous owner had put on this Curt trailer wire kit along with a hitch.

I grounded the white wire better, he was using the screw for the light housing. still blows the fuse.

I disconnect the above mentioned plug to test voltage on it, replace the fuse and it stays lit!

all my lights work now, reconnect this and it blows the fuse again.

What is this connector?

Maybe this is causing other folks problems as well?

I have looked at many diagrams and cannot seem to get a name for this connection.

Larry :help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52o7ZaXQlNI
[YT][/YT]

Attachments

• Jeep Liberty Wiring connector small.jpg
    Jeep Liberty Wiring connector small.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like there's a short some where on the trailer harness since you've already isolated that as the problem.

I'd do a resistance/conductivity test between each of those 4 conductors on the trailer harness for a short.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think most of those harnesses are made by the same company and will eventually fail. I had 2 different ones on my 96 chevy truck. When the first one went bad my dash lights would come on when I hit the brakes and only the right turn signal would function. When the second one failed it would blow the fuse for the tail lights

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the box. I'd bet it got water inside.

Disconnect - don't remove it completely yet - the box and test. Should be fine.

ratman90

Reaction score
I did disconnect all the lights from the trailer harness. And it still blew.

I disconnected the connection in the picture and the tail light stayed on and the fuse did not blow, I reconnected all of the trailer wire connections and it is fine.

I tried to reconnect those two wires and it blew again. So all of my lights run fine, to include trailer lights, as long as that connection in the picture is disconnected. Does anyone know what that is?

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just crawled under my 2006 and I think that connector is for the license plate light

ratman90

Reaction score
Yes thanks! That is it. My neighbor has one as well and I told him I was gonna crawl under his and see if it was different. He asked if it was for the license light. I had never even looked at it. So focussed on the tail light. The license plate light is indeed broken! So that is where my short is!

Thanks again!

Larry

TAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta love an easy fix. Sometimes they take a minute to find though!

ratman90

Reaction score
Yep so I remove the whole harness and light bulb socket to bench test it and the problem is actually in the light bulb socket it's been boogered up in there. I used my smallest pics but cannot get the copper tab straighten it back out. It's not a part that I can find anywhere so I'm out $35 off of eBay for the only one I could find. Previous owner head of worked hard to screw up the connections while replacing that light bulb

TAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It happens quite a bit. That or they melt. Chevy was horrible about that! Glad you got it all sorted out!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.