Dreaded btsi cable issues...06 kj sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr.zoidberg

Reaction score
So...having the dreading btsi cable issue. Key will not come out of ignition. Found a trick on this forum. Pop off trim cover and manually push cable forward to get the key out. I have two questions....what is the best way to lube and adjust the cable before i replace it? I have seen a few adjustment write ups but there is no pictures so im having troubles figuring it out. 2nd question....what would happen if i just unhook the btsi cable at the shifter?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The ole PITA but needed safety design of the brake transmission shift interlock, what fun.
There really is not a lot of information in the FSM , 42RLE section about it. Do you have the 06 Factory service manual ?
What I do know is that there is also an electrical solenoid in the mix at play here.
My gut feeling says leave the cable in place and continue pushing the cable forward at the shifter to get your key out, until you can replace the BTSI cable.
I really don't see any point in trying to lube it at this point, it needs replacement.
That being said on my motorcycle's speedometer & tachometer cables, deep creep works well.

Dr.zoidberg

Reaction score
The ole PITA but needed safety design of the brake transmission shift interlock, what fun.
There really is not a lot of information in the FSM , 42RLE section about it. Do you have the 06 Factory service manual ?
What I do know is that there is also an electrical solenoid in the mix at play here.
My gut feeling says leave the cable in place and continue pushing the cable forward at the shifter to get your key out, until you can replace the BTSI cable.
I really don't see any point in trying to lube it at this point, it needs replacement.
That being said on my motorcycle's speedometer & tachometer cables, deep creep works well.
Is it even worth the time trying to adjust the cable ? Or should i just assume its shot and order a new cable? Was hoping i could adjust it or just unhook it til i can replace it...but i didnt wanna cause more issues by unhooking it.

Dr.zoidberg

Reaction score
No....i bought the jeep used a year ago...i do not have the fsm. Thats why i was looking for some good info on how to adjust the cable...hoping that may fix my issue

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lostjeep.com has a Frequently Asked section.

Go to that section and search on shifter cable.

Quit a few tips there on this cable which I fortunately do not have as I drive a 5 speed manual!

Dr.zoidberg

Reaction score
Ok...thanks for all the info. Gonna try to figure out how to remove center console and adjust this cable. I will let you know how that goes.

Dr.zoidberg

Reaction score
Random question....what would happen if i disconnected the btsi cable at the shifter? Would this harm anything? Just temporary til i get a new btsi cable

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
You can disconnect that cable at the ignition switch pretty easily. Two torx screws hold the steering column cover on. Remove that and look for the cable/switch. It ends in a black plastic rectangle held in place by a locking tab. Push the tab and slide it out, forward, and the interlock is disabled. Tie the cable end out of the way and don't start it in gear.

Dr.zoidberg

Reaction score
You can disconnect that cable at the ignition switch pretty easily. Two torx screws hold the steering column cover on. Remove that and look for the cable/switch. It ends in a black plastic rectangle held in place by a locking tab. Push the tab and slide it out, forward, and the interlock is disabled. Tie the cable end out of the way and don't start it in gear.
And that wont harm anything? Vehicle will just start in gear? Good to know. I tried the trick with the set screw on the shifter handle....and so far that seems like it fixed my problem oddly enough. Ignition gave my key back everytime since i tried it this morning.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My BTSI doesn't work but it won't start in gear either on a 2006 Liberty Renegade

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
And that wont harm anything? Vehicle will just start in gear? Good to know. I tried the trick with the set screw on the shifter handle....and so far that seems like it fixed my problem oddly enough. Ignition gave my key back everytime since i tried it this morning.

Should only harm anything if started in gear. I think the brake or clutch interlock would still work. I left mine stock since it all worked. I was only tearing into it to replace the steering wheel my dog ate.

It can also be disabled by leaving out the tiny metal piece in the ignition switch assembly but that's a lot more work and a special security allen wrench. Cable end can remain in the switch that way and look stock.

Dr.zoidberg

Reaction score
Should only harm anything if started in gear. I think the brake or clutch interlock would still work. I left mine stock since it all worked. I was only tearing into it to replace the steering wheel my dog ate.

It can also be disabled by leaving out the tiny metal piece in the ignition switch assembly but that's a lot more work and a special security allen wrench. Cable end can remain in the switch that way and look stock.
Thank you for that info. I know what little piece you speak of...ive replaced my ignition actuator pin last summer. Like i mentioned the shift handle set screw trick seems to be working for me so far....now that i know i wont harm anything if it gives me more issues ill just disconnect it at the ignition.