Dragging brake calipers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dayspring78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would it not be uncommon to have 3/4 of your calipers to need to be replaced? I had my front driver's side replaced because it wouldn't press back in. I've been fighting a pull to the right, so I suspected a dragging front passenger brake caliper. Doing the cheapest option first I greased the slide pins. After driving it, the pull is still there. I took my temp gun out and the front driver's rotor was around 170 degrees. The front passenger rotor was 240-250 degrees. I went around and checked the others and the rear driver's rotor was around 170 degrees and rear passenger rotor was 240-250 degrees. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the rear drag with caliper sticking. I tried pushing the caliper back and all kinds of stuff to keep them free. Too much of the vehicle sitting and too much corrosion. End up replacing them.
On the Cherokee I had luck pushing the caliper back and/or stomping the breaks to free it up . Stomping the brake can lock it up for good, so be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If it's sat awhile then maybe. Otherwise, I'd say there's another issue like the slide pins are seizing.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be a bad brake line. When the rubber start to break down. It can act like a one way valve. The brake system has enough force to push the fluid past the bad section. But there isn't enough force to allow the fluid to leave the caliper so you get a piston that won't retract.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the rear drag with caliper sticking.

Same here.

Rotor got to glowing red hot one night when I noticed a smell. I replaced the sticking one and carried on. That was 2 years ago.

Latest posts

Members online