Downhill assist in 4low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm currently on vacation...yay! I took my Jeep to Moab, UT and have been out on the trails with it. Overall, I have been impressed with its off road capabilities. I had a question about the downhill assist and proper usage. On Shafer trail in Canyonlands NP I used the downhill assist. Having never used it before it surprised me at first. I shifted to 4low and 2nd gear to begin my decent, as soon as I let off the throttle the abs system engaged and brought me to a stop. Okay, so I figured that you used the throttle as both brake and momentum and proceeded down the grade. This seemed quite effective however after awhile, about a mile, I could begin to smell my brakes getting hot. Is this the proper usage of downhill assist? Or was I doing it wrong? Any advice from those that have used it will be much appreciated.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hill descent control does use the antilock brakes, so it sounds like it is working properly. I think it is not designed for going very far downhill because the brakes would get very hot after a while. Instead, it is probably most effective going over challenging downhill obstacles that you need additional driver control for. I usually stick to 1st gear and 4-Low if I am needing the Jeep to hold me back on a long downhill off road.

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response, having never used it before I wasn't sure. I stopped a couple of times to let the brakes cool. We got down, it was a very steep long grade.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sure is noisy! The first time I used it I wondered if something was going to blow up, lol.