Door/Ignition/Light Chime

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I have noticed in the past couple of days that my door/ignition/light chime (same one that reminds you about the seat belt, yeah yeah) keeps changing tone. It kinda gets deeper, NOT slower, just deeper. Then if I yank the key back out (usually does it while i'm checking to make sure everything came on completely before firing up the engine), and stick it back in, 9 times out of 10 it will go back to normal.

First thing I thought, battery is going dead. So tonight I took it down to a friends shop and ran a battery test on it (same thing that autozone and other places do to determine the life of the battery) and it checked out absolutely great!

I was just wondering if anybody else has noticed this on their KJ's. It's hard to describe the actual tone into words.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I happen to have a 2002 KJ User Manual. This is what I found...

"The chime warning system uses a single chime tone generator that is soldered onto the electronic circuit board that is integral to the ElectorMechancial Instrument Cluster (EMIC) to provide an audible indication of various vehicle conditions that may require the attention of the vehicle operator or occupants."

It goes on to say that it has four audible outputs, fixed, single, slow, and fast rate. It looks like the warnings use different audible outputs. The door ajar warning uses the "single bong like", fasten seat belt uses "slow rate bong-like", and the key-in-ignition uses "fast rate"... There are more. It sounds like that is what you are hearing, just the different rates.

Under diagnosis and testing, it doesn't say a lot, mainly just to use a scan tool to check the EMIC. It's over my level!

Wow! The User Manual is sweet. What can't you learn?

2003KJ

Reaction score
But here's the thing, it makes the same "deeper" chime at any of the rates. Almost like the tone generator is about to become non-existent.

Thats all I need is for something to break ](*,)

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I haven't had my KJ long enough to relate to the sounds. It might be as simple as changing the board.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i noticed the same thing, its like its sick or some thing isnt it? I always wondered y it was doing that? its kind of like theres 2 beeps going at the same time. a deep one and a high one.

2003KJ

Reaction score
BINGO!!!

That's EXACTLY what it's doing. Only really seems to do it now that it's cold outside.

Don't know why I could come up with those words the other day....LOL!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Sounds familiar. My mom's old '93 Plymouth Sundance-Duster used to do that occasionally on really cold days. Today is one of those really cold days (Weather.com says that it's 3 degrees outside). When I go out for a doctor appt, I will let you know if my Jeep does it too.

2003KJ

Reaction score
It was 9º this morning. It's not supposed to be that cold in NC!!! Took 20 to warm up and it was in the garage all night!

bigfella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's 70 degrees and sunny here in SoCal. Thanks for reminding me why Imoved away from the snow belt! \:D/

2003KJ

Reaction score
I'm not in the snow belt either.....LOL!!!!

Didn't make it above 25º here today. But i LOVE cold weather....now we just need some snow!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
bigfella said:
It's 70 degrees and sunny here in SoCal. Thanks for reminding me why Imoved away from the snow belt! \:D/

Sure. Rub it in. I don't care. I prefer cold.

Cold = Snow.

Cold + Snow = Fun in the Jeep!

Sure enough, the dinger thing was sick this morning.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Interesting, must be a cold weather thang :-k

I don't recall this happening last year though.....although, it wasn't NEARLY as cold last winter as it is so far this winter.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate cold weather and the next several days the highs are going to be in the thirties and lows in the teens here in TX. That rarely happens. It is 75 outside right now. That is going to suck tomorrow. At least I will be used to it by Christmas.