don't watch my v8 swap video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brandonv8swap

Reaction score
The engine and trans came out of a friends drift car. It was crashed so I bought the drive train. It's got a haltech ecu. It takes 4 wires to start it. Super easy.

This should drive by the end of next month. Maybe sooner if I get a extra day or two off from work.

brandonv8swap

Reaction score
progress: slide show of pictures + updates

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfI79E-DFXk

i'm waiting on parts to come in for the oil filter relocation and some an- fittings

if it would stop raining here i'd be working on it now

Saturday i will be making a 2 hour drive to tampa to buy a clutch petal set / master cyl.

my to do list so far is:

1. figure out how to make the factory rpm gauge work
2 build a ac bracket or use a lexus/toyota ls400 ac compressor and make new lines
3. install a fuel return line to the tank
4. find a step down fitting for the power steering line
5. buy another passenger side motor mount to go on the drivers side
6. make the motor mount bolt holes on the cross member bigger
7. wash it .. its been sitting for 6 monthes
8. make exhaust using pipe from the junk yard / get the pipe
9. weld jeep transmission mount to the supra transmission mount
10. make a hole in the fire wall and push the haltech harness threw

Attachments

• jeep.jpg
    jeep.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 39

brandonv8swap

Reaction score

I saved this KJ from going to the junk yard the last owner was going to junk it.
this may become one of the fastest KJ's when its done.

I have had this jeep for 6+ monthe's sitting i paid $500 for it needing a engine due to a broken valve seat. i bought a engine from a local salvage yard for 800 and they said it was the right one but it was not it had the newer style reluctor wheels for the crank angle sensor and the cam angle sensor. they would not take it back because i waited too long.

Anyways it was sitting there without engine so i test fitted the v8 and it was a good fit so that what happened.

Also i have a 2008 mitsubishi raider (made in america by Chrysler) and the engine i got will fit in there and has 1/2 the miles so i'm just going to keep it for later.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would have been a lot easier to fix the first engine or swap in the right parts on the second one. Your going to have a lot of work and headaches with what you are trying to do.
Good luck.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
brandonv8swap;656704 I have had this jeep for 6+ monthe's sitting i paid $500 for it needing a engine due to a broken valve seat. i bought a engine from a local salvage yard for 800 and they said it was the right one but it was not it had the newer style reluctor wheels for the crank angle sensor and the cam angle sensor. they would not take it back because i waited too long. [/QUOTE said:
Very cheap and easy to swap things around to use a later model engine , TwoBobs did his in a 2 car garage and no issues, better and cheaper in the long run
So your engine would of worked fine

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck! And that is not a sarcastic "good luck". People don't like out of the ordinary. You obviously know what you want to do and I say go for it! WHEN you get it to run, I do hope you have a good budget for rear tires.:happy175:
You are a young gun who probably knows more about mechanics and engines than 75.386% of this forum.

:favorites13:

Bert

Last edited:

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a built ls2 in my garage i could put it in my libby too ... gonna need to wrap the subframe or yer gonna twist the shit out of it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
i have a built ls2 in my garage i could put it in my libby too ... gonna need to wrap the subframe or yer gonna twist the shit out of it.

And therein lies one of the issues just from experience
This is from someone who at one time thought it would be fun to have a small block Chevy in a Corvair , it was fun for a while , have to admit that :happy175:

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have nothing to say other than keep us updated unlike half the other builds around that die off, You have obviously invested time and money in this, Might as well go all the way, Even if its a catastrophic mess in the end it will be cool non the less, Even if you don't survive make sure someone you trust post's the results :p

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck! And that is not a sarcastic "good luck". People don't like out of the ordinary. You obviously know what you want to do and I say go for it! WHEN you get it to run, I do hope you have a good budget for rear tires.:happy175:
You are a young gun who probably knows more about mechanics and engines than 75.386% of this forum.

:favorites13:

Bert

I'm assuming you were referring to my Good Luck! It was genuine as I'd really rather not witness another hacked up mess but see someone do this successfully. If you weren't referring to me I'm sorry for assuming your assumption was inferred to the reference of my posting.:happy175:

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And therein lies one of the issues just from experience
This is from someone who at one time thought it would be fun to have a small block Chevy in a Corvair , it was fun for a while , have to admit that :happy175:

or a big block in an omni .. lol

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hemi in a PT Cruiser , err wait someone has done that as well
You know how those PTC owners are :happy175::happy175:

not my fault it looks like batman! hemi lol ... i do have a supercharger on it

and to get those suicide doors took ALOT of welding ... LMAO

Edit.... its only running 7lbs of boost for all you that think ima blow up my rings.

Last edited:

brandonv8swap

Reaction score
i want to see that ls2 swap happen. then maybe ill have a fair liberty vs liberty race.
this s/c was pushing out 12lb of boost on a 10 to 1 compression. in the drift car he blew the headgaskets on the first track event in orlando. now it has cometic metal head gaskets and arp studs to match.

anyways i just measured the jeep for the drive shaft i need one thats 47 to 47.5 inches from u-joint to u-joint after a short meeting with Dr. Google i found this

90 Ranger 6ftbed stdcab 2wd A/T 47.5 Steel
95 Ranger 6ftbed stdcab 2wd A/T 47.5 Steel
92-97 aerostar AWD A/T 47 Aluminum
or maybe a jeep Cherokee or grand Cherokee 2wd shaft

a junk yard 3/4 of a mile from my house has racks of drive shafts maybe 500 total.
they pull them before putting them into the yard so they don't get bent. 1pc shafts cost me $20ea and i know there are a ton of ranger shafts there.

i know i'm going to get lots of hate for this one....
i'd like to lower it a little bit maybe 2-3 inches all around that should help this thing handle and not roll over on me.

also i was thinking about putting in coil overs in the rear to help also

Attachments

• 20150429_172012.jpg
    20150429_172012.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20150429_172020.jpg
    20150429_172020.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 20150429_172036.jpg
    20150429_172036.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 32
  • coil over.jpg
    coil over.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 30

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i want to see that ls2 swap happen. then maybe ill have a fair liberty vs liberty race.
this s/c was pushing out 12lb of boost on a 10 to 1 compression. in the drift car he blew the headgaskets on the first track event in orlando. now it has cometic metal head gaskets and arp studs to match.

anyways i just measured the jeep for the drive shaft i need one thats 47 to 47.5 inches from u-joint to u-joint after a short meeting with Dr. Google i found this

90 Ranger 6ftbed stdcab 2wd A/T 47.5 Steel
95 Ranger 6ftbed stdcab 2wd A/T 47.5 Steel
92-97 aerostar AWD A/T 47 Aluminum
or maybe a jeep Cherokee or grand Cherokee 2wd shaft

a junk yard 3/4 of a mile from my house has racks of drive shafts maybe 500 total.
they pull them before putting them into the yard so they don't get bent. 1pc shafts cost me $20ea and i know there are a ton of ranger shafts there.

i know i'm going to get lots of hate for this one....
i'd like to lower it a little bit maybe 2-3 inches all around that should help this thing handle and not roll over on me.

also i was thinking about putting in coil overs in the rear to help also

is it a 4x4? and what rear end are you gonna use i dont think the d30 will do it

brandonv8swap

Reaction score
its a 2wd if it were 4x4 id use a toyota truck transmission and t case

its the stock rear with 3.73's i don't plan on having much traction i'm not going to put slick on it or real wide tires maybe a 234 or 245 / 60 or 65 / 16.

i may end up finding a 8.8 out of an explorer or something to upgrade it when or if it brakes.

also i have lots of parts left over that i'm not using if anyone needs something

i seen this earlier and thought it was funny

Attachments

• aarons jeep.jpg
    aarons jeep.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 36

KJWildman

Reaction score
Just realized with the last post yours is 2wd. Ya, its amazing how big the engine compartment is, once you start stripping it out. I'll be keeping track of this thread for sure! I'll have more pics of mine soon.

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online