Doing my own front shocks, Product question.

Discussion in 'KJ General Discussion' started by mcdeaglesandwich, Dec 12, 2013.

1. mcdeaglesandwich

mcdeaglesandwich New Member

2. Hedsic

Hedsic Full Access Member

The link will not work for me. From my understanding you want to stay away from Monroe though. Most any shop will do it for you for pretty cheap. Or if you order everything from JBA you can request it come preassembled (There is an extra charge but it's pretty small)

3. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Easier?? Yes
    Better ? Oh heck no!
    Buy good springs and shocks and take them to a shop to have them compressed
    good springs and shocks are not Monroes , stick with Bilstein shocks, OME, or Ironman , springs OME or Ironman
    Wouldn't waste my time installing stock type suspension

4. mcdeaglesandwich

mcdeaglesandwich New Member

I think for the time being my expense limits will be dictating my purchase more than longevity.

This info however is greatly appreciated. hopefully I wont mind doing them again in a year or two.

5. twack

twack Full Access Member

go to autozone and borrow their spring compressor, you got to pay a deposit but you get every cent back when you return it

6. tommudd

Good luck

7. Hedsic

Hedsic Full Access Member

If expense dicatates using a product that is inferior to even factory parts than it'd be best not to do it at all.

Of course, if the posts on the facebook page "It's a KJ thing" has already proven. That's not a shared opinion by many so what do I know.

8. TheBlueKJ

TheBlueKJ Full Access Member

Yea most of them are kids and prefer to do things in a half assed hack job sort of way :superhack:

9. tjkj2002

tjkj2002 Full Access Member

If just wanting replacement without the hassle and plan on leaving/wanting it stock height the Monroe "quick strut" assemblies(actually coilovers) will be just fine and much easier to replace yourself.Don't forget the matching rear shocks(rear coils last longer,sag less).You will be good to go for another 50k.

Normally I wouldn't recommend Monroe but if you just want stock replacements that are easy to install you can't beat them.

10. tommudd

That site is like watching 25 cars skidding down the road on ice. You know there's going to be a big crash somewhere along the way, you don't want to see it, YET you can't look away.

11. AVR2

AVR2 Full Access Member

After watching Eric the Car Guy's video on what happens when a typical parts-store spring compressor fails, I'd be nervous about doing the job myself. It's worth noting that the FSM for the KJ specifically states that you should use a professional wall-mounted spring compressor (about $700-worth) to do the job.

I'm sure that people change KJ struts with garden-variety spring compressors all the time, but I don't think I'd want to take the risk. And I've also never heard of people dissing Monroe struts as a replacement for stock before now.

12. Sdavis82

Sdavis82 New Member

I also have never heard monroe dissed as stock replacement. Some of us are not looking to half ass it but also are not looking for a lift. What parts do you suggest then? Assuming someone is half assing it because they dont want a lift but do want replacement parts is a little short sided, imo.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk 4

13. TheBlueKJ

TheBlueKJ Full Access Member

Wasn't talking about you guys, if you saw the page we were talking about you'd understand. IMO Monroe is a fine stock replacement if you don't want to break the bank and keep a stock ride.

14. tommudd

WOW some are getting way off course
    but back on course
    Most Monroes are "OK" as a replacement since they are no better than what stock is/was. Have to understand that most everyone that is into doing anything at all to their vehicles "UPGRADES" any parts they install. So with that in mind most will at least do Bilstein etc
    As far as spring compressors go, a buddy of mine had half his head really messed up years ago, lived as a vegetable for about 10 years, not knowing who he was, had to be fed, bathed etc So for me you can have all of those cheap *utozone etc spring compressors

If you don't want a lift, but want a better ride, better handling etc go with the OME 925 front coils, 948 rear coils, and OME shocks WAY better ride than stock and will last longer than you'll own the KJ I'm sure

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  15. ridenby

ridenby Gold Supporter

Well worth paying someone to do springs if you are going to swap/change them. The monroes are a good choice to just R/R stock.

16. AVR2

AVR2 Full Access Member

OK, you've got me interested in the OME coils and shocks, I like the idea of better ride quality with just a tiny bit of lift. Do you use standard Mopar isolators and upper mounts with them, or do you need to upgrade those as well?

17. tommudd

Can just use the stock mounts and isolators with no issues. What I have done before is buy new ones though and then have everything put together before the install .

18. AVR2

AVR2 Full Access Member

I've just priced up OME struts and coils all round, plus new Mopar isolators and mounts. It's quite a lot more than I can justify, given that Monroe quick struts are so cheap. Oh well :(

19. Glen_S

Glen_S Full Access Member

I just found this thread, was searching on how to change front shocks on my 04 KJ and ended up here.

Assuming one gets the Monroe kit mentioned in the OP - is this a fairly easy install? I also am just interested in replacing stock, don't want or need any lift etc..

thanks

20. tommudd

And there again we have the misconception that if you upgrade the suspension you lift it. Stock parts including Monroes are good for 50-60,000 miles at most. This includes springs and shocks. Now some will try and argue that they have driven 100,000 on the stock springs/shocks, which maybe true but the suspension was shot long ago.
    Upgrading to say OME 925s/ OME shocks in the front will give you a much better ride and handling than it ever was stock. I switched my stock out at 20,000 miles and waited too long in my book. Over railroad tracks you had to slow down due to hitting the bumpstops, afterwards it was so much better .
    So if you are looking at redoing your suspension I would suggest looking at the 925/947 springs and OME shocks, it will put you back up to stock height, 100 times better ride and handling and last way longer than stock crap / Monroes lower end stuff ever will