Do they make a hd torque converter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my ****** fluid and filter changed today on my 2010 Libby with the 42RLE ******. The fluid was kind of brown but not burnt. I was having it done as a regular maintenance on it. I had no trouble with it at all. The mechanic told me that the torque converter is coming in and out of lockup often due to my continuous highway traveling ( back and forth from Florida). He suggested a heavy duty torque converter.
Do they make such a torque converter for an 42RLE? and if they do will it help?
Don't want to wait till I blow the ******!
Thanks

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tech's explanation doesn't make any sense to me.

If you do a lot of highway driving - interstates at relatively constant speed - the converter shouldn't be going into and out of lockup that frequently. Now if you're driving in hilly areas - and you probably do some getting to FLA from NE Pa - then it may happen a bit more in those stretches. But with these transmissions heat build-up issues are generally caused by the ****** going into and out of overdrive at around 45 to 55mph. Many of us lock out the OD with the switch (on the KK it's next to the gear shift IIRC.)

As for an HD converter - there probably is one but I've never inquired. I know there is for the 45RFE as the CRD owners need to upgrade due to the high torque of the diesel engine.

Hopefully others will jump in.

Bob

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the hills I encounter are when I reach West Virginia on up into Pa. Some very steep and I do go in and out of overdrive quite often.
I have 82,000 miles on the Libby.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Most of the hills I encounter are when I reach West Virginia on up into Pa. Some very steep and I do go in and out of overdrive quite often.
I have 82,000 miles on the Libby.

When I get into hills like that I generally just lock out the OD
Easier on the engine and transmission
Take from the time you leave NC starting up the big hill into Va. on 77 coming up Fancy Gap for example

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I get into hills like that I generally just lock out the OD
Easier on the engine and transmission
Take from the time you leave NC starting up the big hill into Va. on 77 coming up Fancy Gap for example

That's a good one - if the weather's clear that stretch is beautiful. Especially with the OD turned off :gr_grin:

Another one is the climb up the mountain southbound out of Kentucky into Tennessee on I-75. Once you hit Jellico, TN it's about an 8 or 10 mile climb. Have seen quite a few overmatched vehicles towing campers smoking and disabled on the side of the highway. The scarier site is the vehicles wrecked on the side of the road coming down that mountain - they didn't drop to a lower gear or their brakes gave out :sad72:

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree TOMMUDD and TWOBOBSKL! Both those routes are a great ride. Tried just about every one going back and forth from Florida to Pa.
RENEGADE 04 that torque converter is alot of money! I was quoted $150 from my friend at the ****** shop for the HD torque converter. I known him for a long time and I am certain he wouldn't steer me wrong. I would still have to pay for the labor to install also.
Never thought of switching off the OD climbing up hills. Good advise though!
Thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree TOMMUDD and TWOBOBSKL! Both those routes are a great ride. Tried just about every one going back and forth from Florida to Pa.
RENEGADE 04 that torque converter is alot of money! I was quoted $150 from my friend at the ****** shop for the HD torque converter. I known him for a long time and I am certain he wouldn't steer me wrong. I would still have to pay for the labor to install also.
Never thought of switching off the OD climbing up hills. Good advise though!
Thanks

The HD converter may help some but the main thing is the transmission shifting back and forth so much on those long pulls . So I would really try the OD off for a while first
I've pulled loaded 6X10 enclosed from Ohio to Orlando and then later back again before with no issues
Also from Northwest Ohio to Boston and back a couple of time , plus many many miles all over Ohio

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes tommudd I will try that.
Here in NE Pa we have hills everywhere you go and my ****** is always going from OD to downshifting. I watch the rpm gauge up and down quite frequently. Must be my heavy foot! LOL

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes tommudd I will try that.
Here in NE Pa we have hills everywhere you go and my ****** is always going from OD to downshifting. I watch the rpm gauge up and down quite frequently. Must be my heavy foot! LOL

Ran across Pa a lot over the years and know the "hills " LOL

Latest posts

Members online