DIY transmission flush?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a ton of BG Automatic Transmission clean and I am due for transmission fluid and filter replacement. If possible i would like to do the fluid flush myself. I do not have a flush machine, but if I disconnect the return line on the transmission cooler and feed the transmission fluid to cycle through, I should be able to get all the fluid changed.

Does anyone here do this? the reason I am doing this instead of going to the dealership is they were charging 200 for a transmission service and they don't even change the filter.

my follow up question to this is should I use some of the BG ATC+ transmission cleaner before I change the filter and flush the system? I have had the jeep since 48,000 miles and I had the dealer do their transmission flush at 60k and 90k miles and I did the filter and what fluid was in the pan myself at 120k and replaced the factory pan with a PML pan.

thanks in advance for the help.

BillyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer needs to flash the PCM into fast learning mode after changing the transmission fluid. If you do it yourself, the transmission will shift really hard for a while because of the pressure change from the new fluid.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer needs to flash the PCM into fast learning mode after changing the transmission fluid. If you do it yourself, the transmission will shift really hard for a while because of the pressure change from the new fluid.
Never heard of such a thing. I've changes filters and fluid in my vehicles several times. They shift the same as they did before the change.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score

sounds like fake news to me. I could see there possibly being a difference in a neglected transmission, but like I said, it's been changed every 30k miles.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's actually listed in the service manual when changing the ATF in the trans.

not in the 2006 service manual, maybe that was just standard procedure for the 02-04 KJ. Also, the FSM says to only use mopar ATF+4 approved fluid. the jeep dealer i was going to for service was using BG ATF, which i am sure is great stuff but it isn't MOPAR ATF+4 approved AFAIK. so if they weren't bothering to use the right fluid, I doubt that they would be taking enough care to flash it back into fast learn mode.

edit: it also says that a filter change should be performed at the time of fluid change, which they were also neglecting to do. they are essentially charging people $180 to do the same thing any Instant Oil Change shop would do.

Last edited:

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found an old thread that talks about having the PCM reflashed after a transmission flush, but no clear decision of what to do if you just drop the pan and change the filters.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/transmission-fluid-change-39720/

again, no clear answers to the original question posted in this thread.

the recommendation seems to be "take it to the dealer so it's done right"

well my dealership uses/used the wrong fluid, doesn't change the filter, and likely doesn't even think about doing a re-flash or re-learn.

then I'm seeing people say that as long as the flushes are done regularly (every 30k miles), then there isn't an absolute need for a re-learn.

so i'm thinking I will just abandon this thread, run the cleaner for 100 or so miles, change the filter, and flush the transmission myself by disconnecting the cooler return line. I'll see what i can do about the re-learn with the OTC scanner I have access to.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
again, no clear answers to the original question posted in this thread.

the recommendation seems to be "take it to the dealer so it's done right"

well my dealership uses/used the wrong fluid, doesn't change the filter, and likely doesn't even think about doing a re-flash or re-learn.

then I'm seeing people say that as long as the flushes are done regularly (every 30k miles), then there isn't an absolute need for a re-learn.

so i'm thinking I will just abandon this thread, run the cleaner for 100 or so miles, change the filter, and flush the transmission myself by disconnecting the cooler return line. I'll see what i can do about the re-learn with the OTC scanner I have access to.
Than it's not a Chrysler dealership,they must use the correct fluid as it would be the only fluid they have in bulk.They may use the BG chemicals which you are confusing as ATF,eitherway just decline the chemical cleaner for a straight fluid swap.

Doing it the way you want to do it is messy and a major gamble,requires at least 2 people to do.Why risk it?

Stay away from multi-manufacturer dealers(like Chrsyler and honda dealer in one),they always use the wrong fluids.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Than it's not a Chrysler dealership,they must use the correct fluid as it would be the only fluid they have in bulk.They may use the BG chemicals which you are confusing as ATF,eitherway just decline the chemical cleaner for a straight fluid swap.

Doing it the way you want to do it is messy and a major gamble,requires at least 2 people to do.Why risk it?

Stay away from multi-manufacturer dealers(like Chrsyler and honda dealer in one),they always use the wrong fluids.

i s*** you not, it is a chrysler/jeep/dodge dealer only. they even showed me everything they used and explained the process when i found out they didn't change the filter. I even have the 12 qt bag-in-box jug of BG atf they sold me assuring me it was atf+4 approved, (which i later learned it is not), this is also the same dealer that didn't change the oil filter when doing a $90 BG 5K oil change service.

that is why I am willing to go through the extra hassle to do all this stuff myself. the dealership has proven to be either incompetent, negligent, or deceitful.

I will own a flush machine before I buy my next jeep.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love to know what dealer this is for future reference. My daughter took my Avenger to Goldstein's in Latham to get a window fixed and they were awesome. Renegade 04 recommended them and I'm very grateful.

Akley88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i s*** you not, it is a chrysler/jeep/dodge dealer only. they even showed me everything they used and explained the process when i found out they didn't change the filter. I even have the 12 qt bag-in-box jug of BG atf they sold me assuring me it was atf+4 approved, (which i later learned it is not), this is also the same dealer that didn't change the oil filter when doing a $90 BG 5K oil change service.

that is why I am willing to go through the extra hassle to do all this stuff myself. the dealership has proven to be either incompetent, negligent, or deceitful.

I will own a flush machine before I buy my next jeep.

sounds like a dealer that cuts corners to make more money.

BillyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should report the shady stuff to FCA corporate. I would also ask corporate about having the crappy dealer comp you the cost to have a proper fluid flush done elsewhere.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to know what dealer this is for future reference. My daughter took my Avenger to Goldstein's in Latham to get a window fixed and they were awesome. Renegade 04 recommended them and I'm very grateful.

it was goldsteins lol

I stopped doing business with them a couple years ago. they definitely have some great techs there, but i shouldn't have to request a senior tech who I know and trust for an oil change, or babysit the vehicle while the work is being performed. For that waste of time, I just assume do the work myself.

edit: oh i also forgot that when i had them do the gears and true tracs they quoted me 3 days and $1,800 to do the work (i was busy with work and the work needed to be done). They had the vehicle for 3 weeks and charged 2,300. In hindsight i should have stuck with my original plan to build the front axle using a donor housing, and did everything myself. I still have all the specialty tools to do the work.

also paid them to re-program the tire size and they gave the jeep back to me and it was off by even more than before I gave it to them. then i had to drop it off with them for an entire day so they could get it right.

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
it was goldsteins lol

crap, another one bites the dust... Well they did fix what was broken for alot less than I expected, but it was not anything complicated. I usually wait till she gets to town to do maintenance and such.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
crap, another one bites the dust... Well they did fix what was broken for alot less than I expected, but it was not anything complicated. I usually wait till she gets to town to do maintenance and such.

there is also armory fiat/chrysler/jeep in albany and saratoga chrysler/jeep/dodge in this area. when the time comes she needs an inspection i would suggest going to a Jiffy Lube and telling them not to touch or replace anything on the vehicle. they are usually in and out for a state inspection, and because they are a fluids/inspection shop they don't try to tell people they need major repairs when they don't need them. A lot of the tire/muffler/brake shops around here do try to screw people over every chance they get.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Fortunately the car is still registered in MD and we have no annual inspections here. I think I heard of Armory so some thing to consider if I need a repair up there.

The NY Inspection strategy sounds just like PA. It was always good to know someone, not to get a piece of crap passed, but just not to get screwed with stuff you didn't need.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only time a quick learn is mentioned in the 02 and 03 manuals is after a transmission replacement/rebuild, valve body replacement/rebuild, solenoid pack replacement clutch plate and or seal replacement or the TCM is itself replaced.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online