Disable the Tire pressure light and chime?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

abozic75

Reaction score
I've been searching all over the net for a way to disable the tire pressure sensors on my 04 Liberty. I got new tires about a year ago, never knowing the jeep had TPMS and after about a year, the light and chime begin. I did install an EVIC overhead about 6 months ago and never trained the senors since I didn't think I had them on there. I find out now that my tires don't even have the sensors on them yet my light and chime continue. I saw the AEV ProCal (used for the JK to reprogram for different tire sizes and different pressure for offroad). They say the AEV ProCal can reset the minimum tire pressure to zero and turn off the TPMS. They only mention the JK, does anyone if this can be used on the Liberty to reset the pressure to zero?

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
The sensors are part of the valve stem, inside the rim, not part of the tire. I don't see why they would need anything done, if you got new tires, and filled them up properly... They should not have to be reset... So, if you just got new tires, then no problem, BUT, if you got rims too? Yeah, you need the sensors from the other rims...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know there is not way to turning that off if the Evic is programmed for it.

Not sure if a dealer can turn that off or not but Ive yet to read of someone having it turned off. Lots of people complain about it though. :)

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know there is not way to turning that off if the Evic is programmed for it.

Not sure if a dealer can turn that off or not but Ive yet to read of someone having it turned off. Lots of people complain about it though. :)
Actually I read a TSB about doing that, seem to recall they had a way to do it so that folks who swap regular tires for snow tires in certain areas wouldn't have to put up with the annoyance for months at a time. I'd do a search right now but I've got to be up in six hours for work so I need to get off the computer. Just wanted to mention that it *might* be possible.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might be OK on your '04, but it is federal law for a vehicle to have TPMS for and vehicle '06 and up. So, I wouln't think that there is an easy way of doing it and I would think that the dealers aren't looking to help anyone out either.

That being said, I wish there was a way. I couldn't get the wheels I wanted because they didn't support my TPMS. I check my tire pressure often. I don't need an idiot light telling me that they are low. I have only had it go off once since I purchased it and that was on the way home from where I purchased it. The spare needed air. Other than that, it has went into fault mode once, reset itself and has kept me from purchasing a good set of wheels. Worthless if you ask me. Stupid/Lazy people do nothing but hinder and restrict everyone else.

abozic75

Reaction score
Would love to find that TSB

If anyone else maybe knows of the TSB to disable the TPMS would be great. This thing is driving me nuts. When I got new tires, it was at a national chain store and they replace the valve stems. Nobody there told me I had senors in there.
I did get one piece of information that the AEV ProCal won't work on the Liberty.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If there's a fuse, why not pull it??? You'd still get the light though...

abozic75

Reaction score
TSBs

I think I found the TSBs about the TPMS. They are 0808205, 2200406, and 2200205. Does anyone out have the corrective actions for these?

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to being an old threat up from the dead, but I have a chance to get some wrangler wheels with no tpms capability and was wondering if anyone has come up with any ideas. I dont have an evic, I've got an 06 sport and want these wheels
You must be registered for see images

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought they were mandatory in 06? But now that you mention it I have rubber valve stems and I don't see a tpms light flash with ignition, is it above the trans temp and oil light? If so that would be great. Maybe on the right side? Could I drive around with my spare at 5psi? Would that trip it if I had one?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought they were mandatory in 06? But now that you mention it I have rubber valve stems and I don't see a tpms light flash with ignition, is it above the trans temp and oil light? If so that would be great. Maybe on the right side? Could I drive around with my spare at 5psi? Would that trip it if I had one?
TPMS became 100% standard for '08+ vehicles.Option for everything before.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a simple solution, buy another EVIC that doesn't have the TPMS.

Another solution that I've heard about is to remove your TPMS from your rims and place them in a pressurized container @ 32 PSI.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a simple solution, buy another EVIC that doesn't have the TPMS.

Another solution that I've heard about is to remove your TPMS from your rims and place them in a pressurized container @ 32 PSI.

X2.

The black guts of the console is easily swapped - pull a plug off the old and plug in the new/replacement EVIC module.

Bye bye chimes!! :Bye:

Bob

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2.

The black guts of the console is easily swapped - pull a plug off the old and plug in the new/replacement EVIC module.

Bye bye chimes!! :Bye:

Bob

Just in case anyone wonders... this does not fix the problem. Also, sorry for bringing back the dead, but I'm having this same exact issue currently. Time for a dealer trip.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just in case anyone wonders... this does not fix the problem. Also, sorry for bringing back the dead, but I'm having this same exact issue currently. Time for a dealer trip.
Why? The dealership can only fix the TPMS issue(big $$$ out of your pocket),they can not by federal law disable the system in anyway,that includes the chimes.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The TPM system is a safety system. Like it or not. If anyone has this system, they should not try to disable it. No one at JKJC can or is condoning the disabeling of any vehicle safety system especially one mandated by law so I am closing the thread.

I trust you all understand.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online