Diff additive & advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robclav

Reaction score
Hi Again !

I will be changing the rear axle bearing and seals this weekend coming due to a new leak!

Anything to look out for while doing this?

I have also been reading that people say to put 'Mopar limited slip additive' in with the new oil, from what i have seen i can not get this in my country, nor get it shipped in time from USA, is there a alternative that might be more available to Ireland/England?

Thanks for any help

Robclav

Reaction score
you can use any LSD additive. I think you need 4oz of it.
Thanks, will call in to parts shop and see what they have for it, and i'd be correct in saying 75w140 as i will be towing at times ?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's correct for twoing.
75w140 is synthetic.
85w-140 is dino which the resident gurus here recommend but given your colder climate synthetic might be better.

Robclav

Reaction score
Yes, that's correct for twoing.
75w140 is synthetic.
85w-140 is dino which the resident gurus here recommend but given your colder climate synthetic might be better.
Parts store only has this stuff - https://www.smogdoctor.eu/en/e-comm...ne-transmission-gearbox-power-steering-d.html

Will this be a good replacement for the mopar LSD additive ? i can not get any other additive by the looks of it

This is also the oil they gave me :
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
What year is your KJ? The question is do you have a Trac loc differential? Use dino, not synthetic, it stick to gears & protects way better.
I use Lucas 85w-140 which is dino for towing.
You can get your free buid sheet here to find out if you have a trac loc rear diff, its listed under differentials. https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

Robclav

Reaction score
What year is your KJ? The question is do you have a Trac loc differential? Use dino, not synthetic, it stick to gears & protects way better.
I use Lucas 85w-140 which is dino for towing.
You can get your free buid sheet here to find out if you have a trac loc rear diff, its listed under differentials. https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing
Listed as 'Trac-Lok Differential Rear Axle'

So if i swap that oil out for 85w-140 i do not need this additive? or i still do ?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes Trac Lok rear diff requires the 4 oz bottle of Mopar limited slip addiive see image for part #

Attachments

• Mopar LS Additive2.jpg
    Mopar LS Additive2.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 6

Robclav

Reaction score
Yes Trac Lok rear diff requires the 4 oz bottle of Mopar limited slip addiive see image for part #
And what exactly does it do?

Parts shop and mechanic are both telling me the same thing, 75w90, no additive. Mechanic deals in a lot of jeeps so i'm cut down the middle as i know everyone on this forum knows their jeep in and out, but so does the mechanic?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Refer to your owners manual.
"Models equipped with Trac-Lok™ require a friction modifier additive"
* They are a clutch based locker & will fry the clutch pack if you do not add the Limited slip additive.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used valvoline 85/140 gear oil. Has the limited slip additive already in it. I know some will say thats not good enough, but mine has been working just fine for quite some time. I too was unable to find the additive when it was needed.