Diagnosing noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my front brakes, and replaced both hubs. I've had a squeal/screech for the last couple of months. Both front wheels had horizontal play so I figured the noise was due to a hub failing, it is over 240k after all.

I'm not sure what the noise is now, so any direction on diagnosing it would be appreciated https.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I also have a few other questions.

1. Does my caliper need to be replaced? The brake pad on the caliper side had uneven wear.

You must be registered for see images attach

2. The swing-arms have a lot of play, so I think the bearings need replacement. Anyone know the size/brand that it takes?

3. Did I replace my brakes prematurely? Could I have gotten a bit more life out of these pads?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes replace the calipers,
for the swing arms, have you removed the bearings, greased them and yes it was about time to replace your pads

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes replace the calipers,
for the swing arms, have you removed the bearings, greased them and yes it was about time to replace your pads

Any brand recommedation for the calipers? I hadn't tried to remove the swing arms yet. They have a bunch of slack in them so I figured the internals were done.

Ok, good to know I'm not wasting my money. The hubs may have been unnecessary though.

Thanks for responding Tom

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Reman calipers are hit and miss from everywhere I think, so I'd just get some locally so it's easy to swap them out for warranty.

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good to know. The core fee is more than the caliper itself. Napa it is!

As for the noise and thump I'm experiencing, I'm going to a new friends shop to remove the front driveshaft this afternoon. Fingers crossed that it's the source of these issues.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How are your front CVs? Can you run it on jack stands and see if you hear it?

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the front CVs are fine as they, and the intermediate shaft were replaced last year. When I put on the new hubs I made sure that everything spun freely, they felt ok and I didn't notice any noise or binding. The noise isn't really apparent until about 15-20mph, then it's constant.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Are the bearings in the front diff good where the CVs go in? Any slop?

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would that be an up/down slop? In/out slop means bad CV, or intermediate shaft splines right? I'll look at that while it's on the lift. My friend did ask if the carrier bearings have been serviced, is that the same thing?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes I think up down or side to side. I don't think its the same as carrier bearings.