Detours Backbone Winch System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
We have a Backbone winch mount and 9500 lbs. winch on our KJ.
****** overheating was a major issue with our truck.
First off the factory stand alone transmission cooler is mounted down low by the front
cross member and didn't get allot of air flow at lower speeds to start off with.
We found ourselves parked on the side of the trail every 30-45 minutes and keeping the engine revs up at about 2000 rpm to cycle the ****** fluid through the cooler and let the
wimpy stock electric fan pull as much air through the cooler as possible.
That meant sitting for about 20 minutes at a time.

I started by relocating the ****** cooler up so it would get more air flow.
That didn't really help too much.

The fix was to replace the rad with one that had an in radiator transmission cooler as well as plumb in the stand alone ****** cooler.
I took it a step further by adding a mechanical clutch fan.
Now we can go all day off road without the transmission overheating and no idiot light
lighting up on the dash display.
My next step is to add a PML alloy ****** pan so it will hold more fluid as well as adding two ****** temp gauges.
One in the pan and one after the fluid comes out of the coolers.
The bonus for us was the fact that our KJ came with an H/D rad cooling shroud but only the electric fan so the only additional cost for us was the fan clutch and the mechanical
fan itself. That set me back $147.00 for the two.
Well worth it for the amount of off roading we do all year.
We don't even notice the added noise of the mechanical fan anymore.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to add the mech fan but never have. So the clutched fan fits with the electric fan that came with out the towing pack? For some reason the towing pack comes with a different electric fan. I never knew if the mech fan would work with the electric fan that's already on my jeep.

Where did you buy the mech fan?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I've always wanted to add the mech fan but never have. So the clutched fan fits with the electric fan that came with out the towing pack? For some reason the towing pack comes with a different electric fan. I never knew if the mech fan would work with the electric fan that's already on my jeep.

Where did you buy the mech fan?

The electric cooling fan on a Non Tow Package equipped KJ is part of the radiator shroud. (Short and stubby)
The electric cooling fan on a KJ with the Heavy Duty Tow Package has it's own extended radiator shroud which
in turn surrounds the mechanical engine driven clutch fan at the same time.
(As far as I can tell from looking at the two different electric fans/shrouds in
person and from looking at the Parts Fiche.)

I bought the mechanical fan from Chrysler for $78.96 Canadian Dollars. (CDN $)
OEM Part # 52079654AE (I inquired state side and it wasn't much any less expensive.)
As for the Fan Clutch I used a Hayden Part #2736.
I bought that from Rock Auto. $42.79 (CDN $)

As mentioned our KJ already had the Heavy Duty Tow Package electric cooling
fan/shroud.

I hope that hepls.