Debating a lift.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm debating a 2" spring kit lift. I'm looking to spend somewhere between 4-700$. Looking to do a full spring lift. My question is, the kit I'm looking at has two rear shocks, being that i JUST replaced the rear shocks, can I swap my new ones to the front? (I did not replace the front ones yet) I know there's threads on this but I'm looking for some opinions from you guys. So far I replaced both rear shocks and upper control arm. Everything else is stock. I'm not very knowledgeable on suspension work only engine work and transmission. It seems pretty easy and I could do it myself but I'd like some help from you guys that are pretty knowledgeable on this. I know Tommud knows his stuff and I've seen his threads as well. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No on the swapping rear to front.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So I'm debating a 2" spring kit lift. I'm looking to spend somewhere between 4-700$. Looking to do a full spring lift. My question is, the kit I'm looking at has two rear shocks, being that i JUST replaced the rear shocks, can I swap my new ones to the front? (I did not replace the front ones yet) I know there's threads on this but I'm looking for some opinions from you guys. So far I replaced both rear shocks and upper control arm. Everything else is stock. I'm not very knowledgeable on suspension work only engine work and transmission. It seems pretty easy and I could do it myself but I'd like some help from you guys that are pretty knowledgeable on this. I know Tommud knows his stuff and I've seen his threads as well. Thanks!

Rear shocks will not work on the front, nor the rear since you'll need longer ones
The cheapest full spring lift that I would install would be using OME springs and then Bilstein shocks.
Www.shockwarehouse.com for stock KJ front shocks and for the rear use the ones for a 99 to 04 dodge dakota 4x4. Of course springs from JBA. all in all you'll save a few dollars that way

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear shocks will not work on the front, nor the rear since you'll need longer ones

The cheapest full spring lift that I would install would be using OME springs and then Bilstein shocks.

Www.shockwarehouse.com for stock KJ front shocks and for the rear use the ones for a 99 to 04 dodge dakota 4x4. Of course springs from JBA. all in all you'll save a few dollars that way

If I do the spring lift , just use stock front shocks? And I will take your advice. I've heard a lot about OME and bilstein shocks. What kind of tire would I be able to fit after lifting 2"? I want something that looks aggressive and has good traction. Right now I have wrangler sras, which are great don't get me wrong

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If I do the spring lift , just use stock front shocks? And I will take your advice. I've heard a lot about OME and bilstein shocks. What kind of tire would I be able to fit after lifting 2"? I want something that looks aggressive and has good traction. Right now I have wrangler sras, which are great don't get me wrong

Yes stock for the KJ
But upgrade to at least the Bilsteins
If using the 927 front and 948 combo on the springs then you'll get 2.5 inches
Tires stick with 245 70 16s or 255 70 16 size wise, Duratracs a great tire, aggressive looks along with a few more

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes stock for the KJ

But upgrade to at least the Bilsteins

If using the 927 front and 948 combo on the springs then you'll get 2.5 inches

Tires stick with 245 70 16s or 255 70 16 size wise, Duratracs a great tire, aggressive looks along with a few more

I'm not sure what you mean by 927/948. And what type of duratec do you recommend

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like you were describing the BDS kit.

I'd just get the full OME kit. I haven't been happy with the Bilstein rears. I've blown 2 sets of them and after finally putting OME ones in, the ride is much better than what the Bilsteins ever were.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OME spring model numbers are 927 for the front, 948 for the rear. The front shocks only come in one size - in other words they aren't longer to accommodate a lift so they are considered "stock." In the rear you'll need to go to a longer shock so there is enough length to keep them from extending too far at full droop given the increased lift with the OME springs. So you'll get standard length shocks for the front and go with the ones Tom mentioned for the rear ('09 to 2004 Dakota 4X4.)

The Goodyear Duratracs are their own model - the sizes Tom mentioned will look aggressive and still fit with the amount of lift you're looking at. Excellent tire in snow, mud, sand, rocks - a good tire in the rain. They will last MUCH longer than Goodyear's advertised tread life with regular rotations every 3000 to 5000 miles. I've got 55,000 miles on mine and they have 3/4 of the tread left and are wearing flat across the tread.

If you've done engine and mechanical work you can DEFINITELY do the springs and shocks on your KJ. Go over to the Lift Discussion section and read a couple of recent posts about how easy it was for a couple of newbies. ;)

Bob

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you were describing the BDS kit.

I'd just get the full OME kit. I haven't been happy with the Bilstein rears. I've blown 2 sets of them and after finally putting OME ones in, the ride is much better than what the Bilsteins ever were.

Totally agree with going all OME ( springs and shocks)
IMO worth the money to go with them,
But when they want to say a few bucks Bilstein most times come through

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by 927/948. And what type of duratec do you recommend

As mentioned numbers for the springs 927 front 948 rear
Goodyear Duratrac, I got way over 90,000 miles out of mine and that was mostly running in Lucas and Fulton County
Hardly ever used 4 wheel drive after installing them
You must be registered for see images attach

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice lookin tires there. If someone can give me a good source on where to get these that'd be great so I can see what I'm looking at as far as price goes

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice lookin tires there. If someone can give me a good source on where to get these that'd be great so I can see what I'm looking at as far as price goes

I got mine at Tireman on Reynolds years ago, first set they had seen and installed. The Goodyear salesman said he never heard of them before so of course did not buy them there :icon_razz:
Some others out there as well any more that do good and are a fairly good over all tire

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine at Tireman on Reynolds years ago, first set they had seen and installed. The Goodyear salesman said he never heard of them before so of course did not buy them there :icon_razz:

Some others out there as well any more that do good and are a fairly good over all tire

How much did they run you?

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have went up a lot since I bought them, that was 4-5 years ago

I can not find 245/70/16s for the life of me. but you said 255/70/16s will work?

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Check out Discount tire. Unless you live in bumfuckingnowhere like me they should have a store. They'll match any price and used to include lifetime balancing/road hazard.

Members online

No members online now.