Daystar lift kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pcoliver

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm thinking about getting a Daystar 2.5" lift kit installed on my son's 2004 Liberty Renegade. Kit # is DAYKJ09116BK. Anyone have any experience with this kit good, bad or otherwise? Since he needs new shocks I'm also looking for recommendations as well.

Lastly, with a 2.5" lift I am looking at 16x8 rims that have a 4 offset. Is that too aggressive?

Thanks for any and all help!

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Daystar is not the way to go it will ride horribly. You want to get a lift kit like the ones that jeepinbyal sells.

LKWJeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your son has a 2004 Liberty then you can bet his springs have sagged some over the 10 years. Your best bet is to do him a favor and get new a spring lift.

Also 16x8 is fine, some say they are too wide but they aren't. Just depends on the size tire you are getting. I wouldn't use anything less than a 245

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Bmxer524

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your son has a 2004 Liberty then you can bet his springs have sagged some over the 10 years. Your best bet is to do him a favor and get new a spring lift.

Also 16x8 is fine, some say they are too wide but they aren't. Just depends on the size tire you are getting. I wouldn't use anything less than a 245

This is what I would say! lol

Basically most will tell you to get 7" wide rims with 4" of backspacing when lifted.

If he needs shocks, springs will probably be shot and sagged as well. By the time you replace everything you'll be within reason of a full spring lift. If you're on a budget, or looking for a budget lift, I recommend OME(Old Man Emu) springs and Bilstein shocks. I personally run that lift set up for 3.5" of real lift. You can just do the springs and shocks for about 2.5" of true lift. Just make sure you choose the 927 front springs and 948 rear springs.

If you want other options, you can go the Ironman lift or Jeepin' by Al's adjust-a-struts(big money...). Not sure what other options a KJ has.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
BMXer was trained well
others .....:Nonono::boxing:
16X8 is too wide for most tires you want to run on a KJ
7 inch wide works way better and won't look like a tuner with sidewalls bulging out, Plus an 8 inch wheel with 4 inches of backspacing will give you more issues with rubbing etc . 16X7/4 inches of backspacing works BEST!!
Over 10 year old springs are more than likely sagged at least an inch or more, being already worn/sagged the spacer style lift will only make things worse as far as ride etc
I've had many come in newer than your sons and be sagged almost 2 inches below new stock height
Only one way to do it and do it right

pcoliver

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help! How about skyjacker lift with nitro shocks? One of the only installers around here uses them. It's ~ a 2.5 to 3" lift. I should probably mention that chances are slim this KJ ever sees off-road. Now if it was my KJ....... :)

LKWJeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nitro shocks are cheap. I've seen many Liberty owners replace them after a couple years. My only suggestion is to spend the money once.

Also my KK was 5.5 years old when I put 245-70-16 tires on 16x8 wheels. Guess what happened? No rubbing! No sidewalls bulging out and definitely no tuner look!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help! How about skyjacker lift with nitro shocks? One of the only installers around here uses them. It's ~ a 2.5 to 3" lift. I should probably mention that chances are slim this KJ ever sees off-road. Now if it was my KJ....... :)

Skyjacker lift has the same spring rate as stock and will sag in short order. Doesn't matter if on or off road Plus price wise its about the same $$$ as OME and Ironman

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Nitro shocks are cheap. I've seen many Liberty owners replace them after a couple years. My only suggestion is to spend the money once.

Also my KK was 5.5 years old when I put 245-70-16 tires on 16x8 wheels. Guess what happened? No rubbing! No sidewalls bulging out and definitely no tuner look!

he has a KJ, you have a KK

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Daystar is not the way to go it will ride horribly. You want to get a lift kit like the ones that jeepinbyal sells.

I have to agree. A spacer lift seems like a nice idea because of the price but it's not a true lift. You're only adding 2.5" of lift to your already sagging stock shock struts.

I have a spacer lift on my 04 Liberty Sport. Because I didn't also install extended bumpstops I blew my stock front shock struts. Now I have the extended bumpstops installed but I'm still planning to install a proper lift kit. I expect to improve my ride and my flex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lifted2renegade

Reaction score
I installed the Daystar 2.5 about 3k miles ago wheel it super hard every weekend for about the past month and half I like it for the price it was a pita to install for one person but Im am happy with it everyone on this site is right though if I could do it again I would go jeepin by al or ironman, old man emu first choice just for better ride quality off road....second I kinda wish I would a got a 3 inch spacer lift to compensate for sage over time....just my exsperiance and 2 cents ;)