CV Joint noise or Driveshaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05 KJ

Reaction score
I have an 05 KJ and while im driving i notice a loud clicking noise, it seems to go away at high speeds but when i begin to slow it becomes very evident. this happens while driving in a straight line and not while im turning which happens most cases with cv joints. my cv boots look to be in good condition and there is no play in either one. the front drive shaft however does have some play in it. curious is it more likely that its a drive shaft CV joint problem or possibly the early stages of my CV axles going? THANKS EVERYONE!

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely the rear CV on the front driveshaft - the one at the transfer case end. Crawl under there with a flashlight and look for a torn boot and some grease splattered around. $10 says that's it.

Pick up a replacement from driveshaftparts.com - the kit is about $60 plus shipping.

Bob

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely the rear CV on the front driveshaft - the one at the transfer case end. Crawl under there with a flashlight and look for a torn boot and some grease splattered around. $10 says that's it.

Pick up a replacement from driveshaftparts.com - the kit is about $60 plus shipping.

Bob

Gonna have to agree with this. It's a very easy replacement. Here's the part:

CV Joints & Shafts - JEEP FRONT DRIVESHAFT CV JOINT - Driveshaft Parts

Check to see if the boot is destroyed (mine was completely gone when it went!!!).

I'm 80% sure that this is your problem. It's the only thing that makes sense in a straight line.

Latest posts