Cutting the Fenders.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sprawlcowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was browsing the web. Looking at different wheel/tire/lift combinations. Getting a feel for what I'm looking for. I came across an interesting modification done to someone's fenders. It appears as though they've sawzall'd the fender at the crease (see attached).

From what I can see, the fender well has been either modified or removed in addition to the fender itself being cut.

Has anyone actually done this to the front and rears and, if so, I assume this allows for a larger tire size?

I checked out KJWildman's post here:
liberty fender flare - JeepForum.com

Not really looking to custom fab a fender.

Thoughts? Write-ups?

Attachments

• 2013-05-01_16-49-01_324_zps3760c29f.jpg
    2013-05-01_16-49-01_324_zps3760c29f.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 233

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decide on a tire size and then do the correct lift and wheels to run that tire size.Gotta make sure to have plenty of room for full flex and turning clearance.

Major body mods should not be required,slight ******* maybe needed.

I wanted 35" tires so that's what I built,no major body mods to the fenders,just slight trimming.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I trimmed my front bumper and fenders. Bumper is fine but I would say don't do it with the fenders. The bumper I'm not worried about since I have a RL bumper on its way to me to replace it and the front flares I picked up at the junkyard just to mess with. I was curious to know how it would look. I did it just for looks not for clearance though. Here are some pics, It didn't turn out the way I was picturing in my head. (my KJ looks so pathetic compared to above lol)

sprawlcowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I trimmed my front bumper and fenders. Bumper is fine but I would say don't do it with the fenders. The bumper I'm not worried about since I have a RL bumper on its way to me to replace it and the front flares I picked up at the junkyard just to mess with. I was curious to know how it would look. I did it just for looks not for clearance though. Here are some pics, It didn't turn out the way I was picturing in my head. (my KJ looks so pathetic compared to above lol)

I like the way that looks. Gives it a somewhat more aggressive profile. I might just try to pick up some junked fenders locally or off fleabay in the future once I'm done with the lift and tires.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine for $20 at the junk yard. You will want to find a way to re attach the wheel well liner though otherwise all kinds of crap gets up in the engine bay. I didn't do that and within maybe a week if that it rained and the engine bay was just filthy after. The cleaning sucked

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Like tjkj stated , proper lift, right size tires and no trimming needed
Once you remove the inner fender then all kinds of nooks and crannies for crap to settle into and rust

Muddedprairie

Reaction score
What did you do ? I'm running a 3 inch lift kit and 255 75 17 bfgs.. I did cut my frt fenders witch looks very good.. I'm wanting to put 33 12.50.15s on it but the rear looks like it will rub...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What did you do ? I'm running a 3 inch lift kit and 255 75 17 bfgs.. I did cut my frt fenders witch looks very good.. I'm wanting to put 33 12.50.15s on it but the rear looks like it will rub...

For one you need 4 inches of lift to run 32s ( 255-75-16s )
and then
3 inch lift and 33s LOL
For 33s you need 6 inches of lift and at least 4.56 gearing
Have you regeared for the 32s you're running now?

Last edited:

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you even able to trim the rear flares to match the front? Seems to me you'd have to trim the quarter panels and pretty much cut off their pinch welds.. or else you'd e left with cut up front ones and regular rear ones like in the picture above.
You'd also cut off the flange for the door skin on the rear doors if you were to trim them to accommodate trimmed rear flares on the door.
You'd also be exposing the wiring harnesses and connectors in the engine bay to constant water when driving in the rain, get a lot more road noise and debris coming into the passenger compartment without front fender liners.
Sounds pretty well not worth it to me.

And all of this is not counting what Tom stated above about taking out the fender liners. You'd effectively be rusting out each wheel well simultaneously. Along with the rear doors and quartera if you were to trim the pinch welds on the quarters or the seam sealer and lap on the door edges.

DO IT!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you even able to trim the rear flares to match the front? Seems to me you'd have to trim the quarter panels and pretty much cut off their pinch welds.. or else you'd e left with cut up front ones and regular rear ones like in the picture above.
You'd also cut off the flange for the door skin on the rear doors if you were to trim them to accommodate trimmed rear flares on the door.
You'd also be exposing the wiring harnesses and connectors in the engine bay to constant water when driving in the rain, get a lot more road noise and debris coming into the passenger compartment without front fender liners.
Sounds pretty well not worth it to me.

And all of this is not counting what Tom stated above about taking out the fender liners. You'd effectively be rusting out each wheel well simultaneously. Along with the rear doors and quartera if you were to trim the pinch welds on the quarters or the seam sealer and lap on the door edges.

DO IT!

Can't trim the rear ones

Enorton5

Reaction score
There is the option of doing DIY wheel well liners. Lots of videos on youtube

Latest posts

Members online