Custom Roof Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jschenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about building a custom roof rack in the spring. Not sure if i'm going to build it to mount in place of the factory side rails, or just build it to mount to a set of cross rails. However, I have a couple questions...

Firstly, what is the best way to remove the factory side rails? And, if I did put new stuff in their place, what would I be required to do to mount it? Obviously I'd be bolting it to the vehicle, but would I need to pull back the headliner, drill the roof? Stuff like that. Etc.

Secondly, what kind of metal would be best to use? I'm looking for a basket that could support 200-300 pounds (i know the factory side rails can't hold that much, but i'd like to have that metal in case i pull the factory rails). I've heard some people using aluminum tubing, but i'm not familiar with the strength qualites of different thicknesses of aluminum versus steel. I wann go with 1" tubing, but don't know whether to go with aluminum or steel and what thickness to use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jschenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know. I'll probably leave the factory rails in place then. In light of this, what type of 1" tubing should I use for the basket? Aluminum, steel? What thickness?

Kasmir Jones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about building a custom roof rack in the spring. Not sure if i'm going to build it to mount in place of the factory side rails, or just build it to mount to a set of cross rails. However, I have a couple questions...

Firstly, what is the best way to remove the factory side rails? And, if I did put new stuff in their place, what would I be required to do to mount it? Obviously I'd be bolting it to the vehicle, but would I need to pull back the headliner, drill the roof? Stuff like that. Etc.

Secondly, what kind of metal would be best to use? I'm looking for a basket that could support 200-300 pounds (i know the factory side rails can't hold that much, but i'd like to have that metal in case i pull the factory rails). I've heard some people using aluminum tubing, but i'm not familiar with the strength qualites of different thicknesses of aluminum versus steel. I wann go with 1" tubing, but don't know whether to go with aluminum or steel and what thickness to use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The rails pop open if you pry them with a screw driver. No need to remove the headliner, the 10mm bolt is visible once you remove the clam shell. Go with Steel. I used 77ft of 18 gauge square tube. total $68.00
You must be registered for see images attach

jschenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kasmir, how did you bend your square tubing? I've got a hand bender for round tubing, but nothing for square.

Kasmir Jones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Father and I made a jig. We used a torch, heated the tube a slowly bent it.

Let me know if you need any more info.
Carmine

Latest posts

Members online