Curious-what is in your KJ toolkit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
As I continue rebuilding and outfitting my 07, I have become curious as to what sort of Items you folks keep in your Jeep for those time you gotta MacGuyver to get home.

I always have a pair of Knipex water heater pliers, a six way screwdriver, a swivel head ratchet, the common socket sizes and extensions, and a multimeter. All that and some duct tape, electrical tape, and some side cutters along with fuses and splices were all I needed to fix most issues with the Bug. Well, that and a few quarts of oil and zip ties too.

Any suggestions to add to this for the KJ? Air compressor? Jump pack? Jumper cables? Tow strap? Never needed any of that with the bug as I could pop the clutch and push it myself if I had to.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
X-bar for lugnuts, spare fuses, oil change tools, and a few basic tools. Also tire chains (cable type) which I haven't needed yet. And bottle jack with plywood baseplate, shovel, jumper cables, tie down straps, tow strap, and hitch pin.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
X-bar for lugnuts, spare fuses, oil change tools, and a few basic tools. Also tire chains (cable type) which I haven't needed yet. And bottle jack with plywood baseplate, shovel, jumper cables, tie down straps, tow strap, and hitch pin.
Tire chains are something I’ve been thinking about. What are the pros/cons between cable and chain type? I have them for my Bug, but if you using chains on that thing you ain’t going over 5mph

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Tire chains are something I’ve been thinking about. What are the pros/cons between cable and chain type? I have them for my Bug, but if you using chains on that thing you ain’t going over 5mph

p14175

Reaction score
I really don't know what will be needed for the KJ. Right now just I just have various oils in a box, but in all my other 4x4s I carried, at minimum, a receiver shackle, at least one tow strap, a few ratchet straps, and a piece of chain with hooks if chaining up an axle is necessary. I think the factory bottle jack will be plenty. All I can think of is pry tools for removing interior panels to get to the electrical connectors and wiring plus a minimal tool set. The cargo area does need more tie down points and maybe some on the rear passenger floor. Oh, and gauges for monitoring the powertrain.

I'd like to get something like one of those Sasquatch battery holders; will probably have to make it to get what I want. The OEM battery mount is scary. Not exactly a tool, but a loose battery is something you never want to deal with.

I don't plan on taking the KJ on any difficult trails, but my DH will probably use it for deer hunting. I am sure he will come up with a list.

In my old ZJ:
- A full set of tools, plus specialty tools. Plus a tie down to keep the toolkit from shifting.
- Multimeter and the factory service manual at all times. Plus a spare ignition coil and TPS. The ZJ had funky electrical problems.
- *Built-in engine driven onboard air compressor and the rear bumper was the air tank. Air hoses and various quick release fittings.
- High lift jack and a full-size shovel on the front bumper, and a bottle jack under the back seat.
- Two pizza cutter spare tires in the cargo area bolted to a really neat frame that kept them from blocking the view, but still left room for camping gear.
- Custom roof rack with an expanded metal floor so there were plenty of tie-down points.
- A set of backup/flood lights on the roof rack.
- Under body lights pointing front and back.
- A CB (pre cellphone days, but still very handy) with a no-ground-plane fold-down antenna.
- *I designed and built an onboard water heater w/pump. It would raise water temp about 15 degrees. To get it hot enough for a shower, you ran the water through it a few times. Sweet! Nothing like a shower back at camp.
- Oh, and safety glasses/googles.

That's all I can think of right now.

* to get the on-board compressor and the water heater to fit, I had to move the battery inside the cab. It fit perfectly on the floor behind the front passenger (right seat). The heater hoses had to be re-routed in the engine compartment.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
TC to your road rescue! :)
Fire extinguisher 5 lb'er, commercial First aid kit extra bandages + alcohol & poly sporin, bug spray, poison ivy ointments, 250 piece socket set + allen keys, 3 foot 1/2" lug torque wrench, 60 piece bit driver, vice grips x3, wire 20 feet. Huge adjustable, pliers, cutter etc. Jeep lighter, + BIC X2, Waterproof matches. Bear spary, whistle, & road flares, large triangles. Tow straps x 2.
Hack saw spare blades & woods saw, 6000lb jack & wood blocks. 18 volt impact, spare battery/charger. 1000 watt Inverter, + compressor. Jump cables. VOM.

Fix a flat, tire glue large bottle, & push in stringy patch +, Spare oil sprays & fluids all + filter. Jugs of windshield washer fluid.
Spare mopar thermostat, hoses, numerous clamps variable sizes. Spare tensioner & belts. 3 quality Flashlights Led, Knives x3, electrical tape x2. Gorilla duct tape big roll.
Spare fuses headlight bulbs & others. Smaller Mud/ snow Traction pads. Phone a radio chargers, CB Radio 4 Watt hand held & GRS. Small AGM 200Amp sealed battery for quick boosts. OBD2 Reader etc.
Some of the camping gear gets packed onto roof basket, but most of the real gear gets packed into the boat.

Human needs: Candles, e-blankets- Food packs, raisins, nuts etc, power bars & few canned goods & can & bottle opener, good vitamins & water bottles a must.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
TC to your road rescue! :)
Fire extinguisher 5 lb'er, commercial First aid kit extra bandages + alcohol & poly sporin, bug spray, poison ivy ointments, 250 piece socket set + allen keys, 3 foot 1/2" lug torque wrench, 60 piece bit driver, vice grips x3, wire 20 feet. Huge adjustable, pliers, cutter etc. Jeep lighter, + BIC X2, Waterproof matches. Bear spary, whistle, & road flares, large triangles. Tow straps x 2.
Hack saw spare blades & woods saw, 6000lb jack & wood blocks. 16 volt impact, spare battery/charger. 1000 watt Inverter, + compressor. Jump cables. VOM.

Fix a flat, tire glue large bottle, & push in stringy patch +, Spare oil sprays & fluids all + filter. Jugs of windshield washer fluid.
Spare mopar thermostat, hoses, numerous clamps variable sizes. Spare tensioner & belts. 3 quality Flashlights Led, Knives x3, electrical tape x2. Gorilla duct tape big roll.
Spare fuses headlight bulbs & others. Smaller Mud/ snow Traction pads. Phone a radio chargers, CB Radio 4 Watt hand held & GRS. Small AGM 200Amp sealed battery for quick boosts. OBD2 Reader etc.
Some of the camping gear gets packed onto roof basket, but most of the real gear gets packed into the boat.

Human needs: Candles, e-blankets- Food packs, raisins, nuts etc, power bars & few canned goods & can & bottle opener, good vitamins & water bottles a must.

Niiice. I admit my human kit is pretty much the same as yours! My trauma kit is a bit more extensive as I had to get EMT qualified to take students out for “field school”. Force of habit, I lug that thing everywhere and to date have never had to use it, save to replace expired stuff.

This is thread is working great thus far! I’m fleshing out the machine kit nicely! Though I use HAM and satellite for coms.! I gave up on CB years ago as most all the channels were empty in the places I end up.

I have to research the impact wrenches a bit to see if there’s one compatible with my 18 and 20 volt sets.

I have tow straps ordered and also the front hooks. Judging from what I see, rear end recovery on KJs is sketchy…still not certain what to do there after reading numerous threads on the subject!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have a portable defibrillator? I wish I had one. My commercial kit has face masks, tourniquets etc. I'm a level 1 in Canada.

The OEM rear trailer hitch or Hidden hitch can sure get the job done. Most use a D ring shackle attachment.
This is my set up for pulling. Only grade 8 bolts used on hitches.
You must be registered for see images attach

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Do you have a portable defibrillator? I wish I had one. My commercial kit has face masks, tourniquets etc. I'm a level 1 in Canada.

The OEM rear trailer hitch or Hidden hitch can sure get the job done. Most use a D ring shackle attachment.
This is my set up for pulling. Only grade 8 bolts used on hitches.
I don't personally own a defib, but we have a spare in the labs for field work, so I drag that along. My kit has the usual stuff.

Wow. this blows my mind with the tow hitch...on mine it seems so flimsy at its attachment points.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I got cable chains for the Jeep because they pack small and tidy and tire/fender clearances are tight. Chains for my pickup are old school; heavy chain with tensioning bands stored in a heavy plastic soda bottle crate(milkcrate-ish). Haven't needed either for over a decade. I used the heavy old chains a lot in my 2wd days just getting on and off the highway and out of tight spots.

They're insurance.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I got cable chains for the Jeep because they pack small and tidy and tire/fender clearances are tight. Chains for my pickup are old school; heavy chain with tensioning bands stored in a heavy plastic soda bottle crate(milkcrate-ish). Haven't needed either for over a decade. I used the heavy old chains a lot in my 2wd days just getting on and off the highway and out of tight spots.

They're insurance.
Yeah, I’ll need a set as some places I go have the “chains required” signs for winter. In the past I never really needed more tha a sandbag under the decklid.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
LabRat what brand of hitch is it? I assume its a square 2.5 inch receiver?

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
LabRat what brand of hitch is it? I assume its a square 2.5 inch receiver?
Not a clue what brand. It is the 2.5 square. Came with the vehicle. I’ll take some pics and share. I asked as it appears to me there is only 4 bolts holding it to the chassis. Suspect it might possibly be the gas tank recall fix hitch? Looks pretty flimsy to my inexperienced eye!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a fairly large plastic container in the trunk storing a large amount of spanners, screwdrivers, Vice Grip, wire strippers and cutters etc.
Also has spare wire, fuses, tire valves, electrical switches etc. and my trusty Fluke Multimeter with a selection of meter probes. Plus a Bosch tire pump with a backup pressure gauge and a selection of Hose Clamps!

Loose in the trunk is a pressurized can of Tire Inflator and Sealer and a plastic tarpaulin in case I have to grovel under the Jeep.
Also some spare engine oil while under rear seats I have some clean water, Mopar Anti-freeze and a basic First Aid Kit.

Under rear bench seat is a set of heavy duty Jumper Cables, tough Tow-rope, the Tow-ball for my rear Tow-bar and the Jeep Jack and wheel spanner.

Then before setting out for any trip...long or short...I pack my Laptop with the 2002 Jeep KJ Service Manual loaded and a Large hat in case I break down on a very hot day....been there done that!;)

I once broke down with a rear-wheel flat on the open road. No problem I thought...I will just use my cannister of Tire Inflator Sealer and then drive to the nearest Tire Dealer to have it sorted out.
This cannister had expired two weeks before which normally means it will sort of work...Wrong!..a gooey slime came out and blocked the valve completely and I did not have Tire Valve Removers!

So out with the feeble Jeep Jack and Spanner and I replaced flat wheel with the Spare..lifting and replacing the Spare Wheel damaged my ankles, knees, back, hips shoulders etc. for many months....old Jeeps are for young people!:(

I now check the expiration dates and carry tire valves and in future will drop the spare wheel onto the tarmac and roll the flat tire into the rear passenger area and try to flag down some help;)

Ofelas

Reaction score
Absolutely nothing except a spare new Mopar TPS along with the appropriate Torx screwdriver, a gallon of windshield washer fluid, a few bottles of upper cylinder lube/fuel system cleaner, and a spare pair each of 9007s and 4114Ks.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

First aid kit
Tow strap
Recovery strap
Leather gloves
Tire PSI checker
Air compressor
Tire iron
Sockets
Breaker bar
1990’s era Walmart tool kit
Gloves
Ratchet straps
Tow hitch pin & lock
Spare bulbs for brake lights, turn signals
CB radio stuff when not in use

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score

First aid kit
Tow strap
Recovery strap
Leather gloves
Tire PSI checker
Air compressor
Tire iron
Sockets
Breaker bar
1990’s era Walmart tool kit
Gloves
Ratchet straps
Tow hitch pin & lock
Spare bulbs for brake lights, turn signals
CB radio stuff when not in use

I really like your flat floor design! Rear seats out or folded?

Ive read that lots of folks are still using CB, so I dug out my late 90s Cobra today. Gotta get a different antenna for it as I think I sold the whip with my 74 Super Beetle Baja.

Ive stolen many ideas from everyone’s kits for my own.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Th
Thanks! The rear seats are there and in an upright position. Here is the build thread for the trunk box if you’d like to see details, plans, and views from different angles. You could easily make something like this for the KJ, just with different trunk measurements than my KK.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=80170
Thanks! I’m on version 2.5 of mine. Been to hot to weld bumpers, so been playing carpenter. I’ll post up the build photos on that eventually…I’m making a few mods to better handle the vehicle emergency kit and the lab equipment

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Jeep Duffel Bag (Green)

Main Compartment

Rooftop Cargo Bag
Seat Protector
Air Compressor
Shovel
Machete
Ratchet Strap