Cruise Control Strange Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

herkj

Reaction score
2004 Jeep Liberty KJ Limited

I just went through 6 pages of searching and reading about various cruise or 'speed' control issues. I could not find another person having the same problem Im having with my KJ. (her kj)

Problem:

Cruise is intermitant. Sometimes it works just fine but only for a few miles down the highway. Once it turns off randomly, the cruise light in the gauge cluster does go off, and will not come back on. Sometimes it just doesnt work at all. No indicator, no cruise, nothing.

I hope I was able to explain this enough....:Insane:

Any ideas? I dont want to bring it in because I refuse to pay stealership prices!

Last edited:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not see the multi-function switch having anything to do with cruise control.

From the Service manual:

Ensure speedometer is smooth and does not flutter at all speeds.
Check for a DTC code regarding the Powertrain.
Misadjusted brake (stop) switch could cause intermittent problem
Loose, damaged or corroded electrical connections at the Servo.
Leaking vacuum reservoir.
Loose or or leaking vacuum hoses or connections.
Defective one-way vacuum check valve.
Secure attachment of both ends of speed control servo cable.
Smooth operation of throttle linkage and throttle body valve.
Failed speed control servo...do the servo vacuum test.

07 liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few times my cruise wouldn't come on. I don't how I discovered this solution but now when it happens I briefly beep horn and then i can turn my cruise on. No idea why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Maybe it's your multi function switch, it seems do odd things when it needs replacing.

Jen

I do not see the multi-function switch having anything to do with cruise control.

Jen tried!
She didn't realize that the cruise control controls are steering wheel mounted and not on a multifunction switch!

We don't have cruise control fortunately.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few times my cruise wouldn't come on. I don't how I discovered this solution but now when it happens I briefly beep horn and then i can turn my cruise on. No idea why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clockspring.

it's the first thing in line that's common to both the cruise control buttons and the horn.

another thing you could try is turning the steering wheel full-lock to full-lock and try again to activate cruise. clearly you shouldn't do this while at any kind of speed, but should stop, turn the wheel, then proceed back on down the road. if that has any effect I'd definitely suspect the clockspring.

the fact that beeping the horn clears it up tells me it's probably a power or ground issue with a dirty contact or connector. the horn button conducts more current (to activate the horn relay) than do the cruise control buttons and could be causing an arc that clears a path for the buttons. the bad part is, it's arcing which eventually could cause Really Bad Things.