Cruise Control Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abarilla

Reaction score
My cruise control stopped working and I saw a couple references to problems with the AC at the same time. But I'm not having this.

Since I can't find any cruise control fuses what should I look for to troubleshoot this?

Thanks,
Andy

welby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the light still turn on in the dash when you press the on/off button?

You can check the cruise control cable on the throttle body linkage. Looking at the engine bay, it's on the left side of the TB, behind the air silencer (big plastic box that says 3.7l etc.). There should be two cables, the throttle cable on the left and closer the to TB the cruise control cable. I had mine pop off, it just pops right back on.

abarilla

Reaction score
tulsa said:
Andy,
Often oddball problems like this can be solved by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.
Lewis

Ah, as an IT guy I should have guessed as much. "Did you turn it off and on again?"

I'll give it a shot.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You said it was an 05, so if you have less than 36,000 miles on it, and no cruise cable to come loose, then take it to a dealer - it's a warranty repair. Must be a "simple" thing being tempermental. Maby a bad connection with the cruise control button/wire.

Dave

abarilla

Reaction score
I was planning on taking it in, but was waiting for the recall parts to finally arrive so I could kill three birds with one stone.

Ladyliberty2004

Reaction score
Hey guys I just purchased a 2004 Jeep Liberty sport for $900.00 with 137,000 on it. I still only had it for under a month and I'm still trying to figure everything out on the Jeep. ONe of the problems that I am currently having is the crusie control will not work. every time im in the car and hit the button to turn on the cruise control. a cruise control light on the dash will quickly come on and off wont come on again until I turn off the jeep. What do you guys think of the cause to the cruise control not to come on? a vaccuum leak to the servo? a bad switch on the steering wheel or a blown fuse? :help:

adamjam2

Reaction score
FIXED IT!!
My cruise stopped working on my 05 with the 3.7 liter where the light would still come on, and when I hit "set cruise" i would hear something in the dash clicking which would stop clicking when i hit cancel.
I replaced the brake switch, my cruise control switches on the steering wheel, checked my vacuum line from the brake booster which was still good and holding vacuum, and replaced my clock spring.
Nothing worked until I realized the dang cable had popped off the left side of my throttle body right next to the throttle cable connection. 30 seconds and it was fixed. It just pops back on and it worked! Hope this helps someone save some time and headache.

Last edited:

JBDive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you Dave and adamjam2! Just posted on my own thread on the topic of no cruise that I was sitting around watching TV and reading post when I came across this one. Grabbed a flashlight during a commercial and sure enough, cable had popped off. Talk about the fastest fix to a PITA problem that I've ever seen, what, 20 seconds and that counts finding the flashlight.

I do have a question however. Both of the cables seem really loose with a lot of slack in them. I recently had my engine replaced so I assume there is a spec that these should be at in terms of cable tightness and how do you tighten them up?

JBDive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question remains, how much slack does everyone have on these cables because the cruise popped off again today.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online