CRD Weak Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RockinRam96

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I have an 05 Liberty CRD, with a 2” lift and 265/70/16 tires that I bought in October 2021. The brakes have always seemed weak to me. Weak as in spongy. Anyone experienced this issue and solved it?

I love everything about this truck, except for the brakes. Any help is greatly appreciated!

TIA.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s possible there is air in the lines, so bleeding the brakes is where I would start. If I didn’t have time for that, I would go for a brake flush at my trusted mechanic’s shop. That would replace the fluid as well, which could be old and contaminated. I’d rule these things out before replacing any parts. If the brake pads & rotors needed replacing, that would be my next thing to check, but I wouldn’t expect thin pads to create a spongy feeling in the pedal, more of a grinding or squealing noise.

RockinRam96

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with you. But fluid all drained out when I pulled the calipers off doing the lift. I the driver’s side hose and added brand new fluid and bled all 4 corners, starting the the rear passenger side, furthest from the master cylinder. No air. Don’t believe it is in the fluid.

Thanks for the idea!

iceaxe1967

Reaction score
If you have ABS this also needs to be bled. My 2006 has always had spongy brakes but I suspect the master cylinder since I can apply pressure and hold. The pedal slowly descends to the floor. Everything points that the master cylinder is bad

Latest posts

Members online