CRD or 3.7?

Discussion in 'KJ General Discussion' started by Sephiroth, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Full Access Member

I'm looking at an 05 CRD with 140000 miles. Something I should look out for? I'll probably get a new timing belt if I end up getting it. Would you choose the CRD over the 3.7? And why? Any parts I would be able to swap from my 3.7 Gasser? To the diesel? (See signature) thanks in advance.

2. sota

sota Full Access Member

When I first started looking at one of these things, I wanted a diesel (because towing.) I also wanted a stick, and a stick was more important, so I wound up with a gasser. Now looking back, I'm glad I didn't get a diesel. In my opinion, they're a maintenance pig.

3. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I'll take 100 gassers over one CRD.
    They cost a lot to keep maitained
    VERY few actually know how to work on them
    Even dealerships never got the proper training on keeping them up.
    I have 3 gassers which I have driven over 300,000 miles ( all together)
    04 over 232,000 etc.

4. Billwill

Billwill Full Access Member

Here in South Africa the first KJ to arrive was the 3.7 Gasser Automatic. I loved the look of it in all respects but the first published Test Drives by the local Auto mags reported the heavy fuel consumption....Gas (Petrol)...is very expensive here so I waited a while for the 2.5 L Export Diesel to come out and gave that a test drive.

At that time I was driving a Landrover Freelander 2.2 L Diesel....no power and useless off-road but pretty economical to run.

I straight away placed my order for the Diesel 5 speed Manual...took months for it to arrive while the price kept climbing due to our currency dropping against the Dollar!

Picked it up 11th May 2002 and still have it!:)

I only wish I had waited a few months more at which stage it came out with Disk Brakes at the rear and ABS as standard.

Reading all the KJ Jeep Forums over the years though I would say that the Diesel KJs have many more issues than the 3.7 Gassers so in the USA with low gas prices I would say that the 3.7 Gasser is a better choice!;)

The 2.4 L Gasser made a brief appearance here but its low power output soon saw its departure!

ltd02 likes this.
  5. turblediesel

turblediesel memberable

When was the last timing belt and water pump change? What modifications have been made? The CRDs want a lot to stay happy. Some of the best mods are no longer available.