Crazy problem. I think my wife's car is possessed! Random unlock...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pyrplhaze

Reaction score
Hello all...I have a very random issue with my wife's 08 liberty, and have no idea what could be going on.

It started when her key fob would randomly not work. Figured it was the battery, so I replaced it. Fob started working again, but sometimes immediately after locking the car (beep!) the lights flash, and the damn thing unlocks itself.

Thought it weird, but it didn't happen that often.

Now, it's doing it regularly (enough such that I've had to give her a jump 2x because the battery was dead), and it will randomly unlock. Hell, the other night, I walked in front of the car (with the key sitting on the desk inside) and it unlocked itself. This is not the first time it's happened, either. Many times I've walked outside and noticed the lights on like it was just unlocked, but I never touched the key!!

Now - things I've noticed that are different: Hazards don't flash when unlocking like (I think) they used to. Same when locking. I'd swear they do that normally, however I don't see them flashing when locking, either.

So, has anyone else experienced this craziness? Taking it to the dealer next week, but I'm not holding out much hope as this is damn near impossible to reproduce, it's just TOTALLY random.

I'm considering getting a different key fob, in hopes that something has gone wonky with this one, causing it to transmit weird things, but not sure that'd help out...

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all...I have a very random issue with my wife's 08 liberty, and have no idea what could be going on.

It started when her key fob would randomly not work. Figured it was the battery, so I replaced it. Fob started working again, but sometimes immediately after locking the car (beep!) the lights flash, and the damn thing unlocks itself.

Thought it weird, but it didn't happen that often.

Now, it's doing it regularly (enough such that I've had to give her a jump 2x because the battery was dead), and it will randomly unlock. Hell, the other night, I walked in front of the car (with the key sitting on the desk inside) and it unlocked itself. This is not the first time it's happened, either. Many times I've walked outside and noticed the lights on like it was just unlocked, but I never touched the key!!

Now - things I've noticed that are different: Hazards don't flash when unlocking like (I think) they used to. Same when locking. I'd swear they do that normally, however I don't see them flashing when locking, either.

So, has anyone else experienced this craziness? Taking it to the dealer next week, but I'm not holding out much hope as this is damn near impossible to reproduce, it's just TOTALLY random.

I'm considering getting a different key fob, in hopes that something has gone wonky with this one, causing it to transmit weird things, but not sure that'd help out...

I would start by taking the battery out of the FOB and seeing if that happens again. The issue with the battery dying sounds more like something is draining the system. If it isn't the FOB then its a electrical gremlin somewhere.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya get into the dealer. Explain to the them well what exactly has been taking place.
They have the proper star scanner tool that can check it out see if there are any body codes etc, and even re-program the Body Control Module etc...
They also can look up any known KK issues regarding the electrical gremlins.
Have them properly load test the jeep's battery and if it needs a new one get something with a minimum of 800CCA Don't let the dealer sell u something less.
The jeeps can act very ...strange with failing starting batteries.
Please post back what they find or what they did to help you.

Last edited:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the battery. A buddies 03 Rennie had the same issues; Doors unlocking and locking, dome lights turning on and off. He put in a new battery and the gremlins left him alone.

pyrplhaze

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, folks! We had an appt at the local dealer last week, but the dumba$$ that my wife talked to didn't put her on the books, so we've got to wait longer...

One thing, though, is that I've pulled the battery out of the key, and it hasn't done anything crazy since, so I'm thinking it may be the key. Will test the battery tomorrow to make sure it's got enough juice and go from there!

once we're able to get it in to the dealer, I'll put up a note to let yall know what was causing it!!

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a problem like this as well. It escalated to where my jeep would unlock itself any time I was close to it. I finally took the battery out of my key FOB and pulled out my backup one. No issues whatsoever. After some trial and error, I was able to determine that my "unlock" switch was stuck on my key FOB and was causing all the fun. With the battery removed, I haven't had a single issue with the Jeep and the backup key FOB is working great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk