Crazy door lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redrock08

Reaction score
While I was out today I opened my 2008 Liberty's passenger rear door and when I went shut it, it would not close. I pushed and the door just bounced back at me. I was pissed. After playing with the lock mechanism and pushing the handle in 10-15 times something inside clicked and it stared working. Any body heard of this kind of thing.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
ive had it happen on older vehicles, but nothing since 98 or so. Mine were from 1. people playing with the latches. 2. hesitant opens.
Meaning, when you start to open the door but, dont, and kind of push the door closed again, but not, so it triggers the latch to close.

Make sense?

2003KJ

Reaction score
I would say if it does it again, bring it back to the dealer. If they pull that BS about "we cant reproduce the issue blahh blahh blahh", shoot some WD40 or something in the latch and see if that doesn't help it. WD40 has always helped me on vehicles with sticky latches.

Don't do the WD40 first, then bring it to the dealer....then they can easily pull that "well since you messed with it, that voids the warranty on that latch" crap.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not had this happen personally, but I was thinking that it might have something to do with the "child proof rear door locks". Were they on or off??

Dave

azmotoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most maintenance schedules on older vehicles included cleaning and lubricating ALL hinges, latches and various pivoting mechanisms with white lithium grease. The hood latch and hinges would be included in this type of service.

Many of the newer vehicles come equipped with nylon bushings and are expected to last the life of the vehicle or be replaced as they wear. A bit of silicone spray lubricant in these areas will increase their longevity and prevent binding for easier operation.

Each of these lubricants can be found in any automotive parts, hardware or home improvement store. A regular schedule of "lubing" these areas (i.e.: every oil change, once per season, during tire rotations, or even yearly) will prevent many avoidable problems such as you are experiencing.

Waiting until the latch starts to malfunction increases the chances of failure...as you already know.

Hope this helps.