Crazy Dashboard Behavior 07 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jms

Reaction score
EDIT: My issue has been solved. See my post below. Leaving all this info in case other people find it helpful.

I don't really know how to describe this other than posting a video, but my 07 just started displaying some very weird behaviour. While driving, the dashboard is going a bit crazy, The speedometer jumps from 0 to driving speed, the ESP/BAS, Parking Brake, ABS, and Traction Control lights flash on and off, and a check engine light is on. This all started after I put a new alternator in, attempting to solve another issue, which replacing the alternator did not fix. Here's a link to the video, I slowed this down slightly to make it a little easier to see what's going on. Note that I'm driving at a constant speed in this video - the changes in the speedometer are totally erroneous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwTkP3s9jSA

Here's the back story - I have no idea how much of this is relevant to the current behaviour, but maybe it will help: For a few months I had an issue where at idle engine speeds, all the electronics in the Jeep would flicker a bit - the headlights, the dashboard lights, interior lights etc... would dim and flicker slightly as if the alternator weren't putting out enough voltage. This progressively got worse until a check engine light came on, and the code was Low System Voltage. I had a shop take a look and they claimed it was a bad alternator and wanted $400.00 to replace it... so I went to Autozone, got myself a new (re-manufactured) alternator and swapped out the old one. Same exact issue persisted, although the check engine light did go off for a short while, but then came back on. I thought maybe I got unlucky and got a bad apple and had them exchange the refab alternator for another one, just to be sure, and again the dimming/flickering was present, ruling out any possibility that the alternator was the problem, and then the next day the problem shown in the video above started.

I could REALLY use some help on this. I'm a college student and don't have the time/money to be ****** around by shops who are happy to jump to conclusions and waste my money. If anyone has any advice on what to try or what it could be, I'd appreciate it!

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically speed-o issues can be caused by the wiring on top of the rear differential. Thats where the speed sensor is.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like the problems you are having are related to the speedometer issue. You should look at a service manual and see where the speedometer pick up is on your libby as the location on mine is different from yours due to yours being a new libby.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably one of the wheel sensors....as stated you need to get the CEL codes read out...this might point to which sensor is failing.

jms

Reaction score
Sorry for the long delay... been really busy lately.

Anyway, I ended up figuring out the cause of the problem. It was THIS P.O.S!

attachment.php

That's the negative battery terminal. Apparently all of these symptoms can be caused by a poor connection on the negative side, resulting in the charging system and PCM not being properly grounded. Now, when that terminal was on the battery there were no visible signs of corrosion or indication the connection was bad, but upon removing it there was a chalky substance coating the inside, and I realized this is a cheapo garbage lead terminal. I replaced it with a better quality one (for about $10) made of zinc, and all the issues are solved, and everything has been going great the past two weeks.

So I wasted $150 on replacing the alternator, but I learned a valuable lesson... hope some day this info will be useful to someone else.

Attachments

• 20160123_171044.jpg
    20160123_171044.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 38

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Good Catch on the POS ground terminal!
Even tho the zinc works, the problem is they crush in & don't always remain tight.
Brass terminals are more conductive, solid, & the best terminal long term.
Many places carry the brass, here is just an example link: Heavy-Duty Negative Brass Terminal Clamp Connector

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even tho the zinc works, the problem is they crush in & don't always remain tight.
Many places carry the brass, here is just an example link: Heavy-Duty Negative Brass Terminal Clamp Connector

X2 I changed mine to marine terminals. Never see an issue. (The first pair was CRUSHED by the PO)

jms

Reaction score

Yea, the terminal post did get a bit squished, but at some point in the next year or two I'm expecting it'll be time for a new battery anyway. Thanks for the heads up though - when I replace the battery or if the issue pops up again I'll go with brass.

Latest posts

Members online