crashed under a tracter trailer...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeperkeeper

Reaction score
just before Christmas I crashed my liberty under a tracter trailer going about 25mph when I slid in 2WD on black ice. It broke my heart. but 12 weeks and $13,700 later I got my jeep back. It looks and feels exactly the way it was before. It fixed up remarkably well. I smashed the windshield, the A-pillar, the driver side window, the driver side door, the entire front end, and the driver side fender and flare. the KJ's frame is unitized so if you bend part of the frame it can be taken out and replaced. I had to have the entire rail on the passenger side replaced. it was kinked in 2 places... the engine was fine.

FYI never drive these things in 2WD if the road conditions are anything but perfect. the roads were clear everywhere except where I hit the ice... now I wish I had Full Time 4WD instead of Part Time. I think these 5,000 lb jeeps are too heavy for 2WD.

anyway, I thought I'd share my heartbreaking story and it's happy ending with you all.

bigfella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you hit black ice it would not have mattered one bit if you were in 4-wheel or 2-wheel drive. I lived in upstate New York for many years and black ice is not friendly to any vehicle except one not on it!

Shame you wrecked your Liberty though! Glad you made it through!

2003KJ

Reaction score
bigfella said:
If you hit black ice it would not have mattered one bit if you were in 4-wheel or 2-wheel drive. I lived in upstate New York for many years and black ice is not friendly to any vehicle except one not on it!

Shame you wrecked your Liberty though! Glad you made it through!

I agree that black ice will mess with your mind, as well as the mind of your 4X4, but I will say it most ertainly does HELP in icy conditions. Believe me, I'v had plenty of opportunitys to drive on solid sheets of ice this winter.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
I remember once I was in my wrangler on the highway and I hit some black ice. It did a 360 at about 60 mph and I regained control after it spun around to somehow stay on the highway. I think after it spun around the speed dropped to about 45, so it happened relatively quickly. I wasn't in 4wd either, since conditions weren't bad, but somehow they didn't salt this one part of the highway.

Bennett

jeeperkeeper

Reaction score
Bennett said:
I remember once I was in my wrangler on the highway and I hit some black ice. It did a 360 at about 60 mph and I regained control after it spun around to somehow stay on the highway. I think after it spun around the speed dropped to about 45, so it happened relatively quickly. I wasn't in 4wd either, since conditions weren't bad, but somehow they didn't salt this one part of the highway.

Bennett

sounds exactly like what happened to me. I took an uphill right hand turn at about 25MPH in 2WD and the ass end swung out to the left on the ice- throwing me to the right. I almost hit the cars on my right, so I countersteered and it swung left and that's when I stopped. right underneath the bed of the tractor trailer and his rear wheels. luckily he was stopped at the light. was scary as hell. the A-pillar was dented inward about one foot from my head. I was almost decapitated. I'm glad to be alive. and I'm glad to have my jeep back!! (of course...)

jackie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should have asked the insurance to total it... that sounds like a ton of damage! good thing you are ok.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
ah man, that sux, at least u got out unscathed...

a couple of years ago, up in Central Valley NY, driving back home, when all of a sudden, the back of the jeep, started going one way, then i realized i was driving on ice, aside from the back end tailing out, when i stepped on the gas, rev's just went up, and all u heard was wheel spin.....it was a 2 lane road and good thing there was no oncoming traffic. i just kinda played (turning into the skid..) with it till the black ice ended ....wasnt going that fast either, but at least i didnt panic and slam on the brakes...or something.. I had some previous Ice driving experience..but in a more controlled environment....this was the result...

You must be registered for see images

thats me in the Jetta waiting for the tow car to tow me outta the snow bank I wedged myself into....

2003KJ

Reaction score
SiLveRLiB2k2 said:
ah man, that sux, at least u got out unscathed...

a couple of years ago, up in Central Valley NY, driving back home, when all of a sudden, the back of the jeep, started going one way, then i realized i was driving on ice, aside from the back end tailing out, when i stepped on the gas, rev's just went up, and all u heard was wheel spin.....it was a 2 lane road and good thing there was no oncoming traffic. i just kinda played (turning into the skid..) with it till the black ice ended ....wasnt going that fast either, but at least i didnt panic and slam on the brakes...or something.. I had some previous Ice driving experience..but in a more controlled environment....this was the result...

You must be registered for see images

thats me in the Jetta waiting for the tow car to tow me outta the snow bank I wedged myself into....

LOL! Whats with the helmet????....LOL!!!!

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
2003KJ said:

it was required. That was a rally cross I did a few years back. I was doing about 45 downhill doing a slalom just before that happened.....

2003KJ

Reaction score
SiLveRLiB2k2 said:
2003KJ said:

it was required. That was a rally cross I did a few years back. I was doing about 45 downhill doing a slalom just before that happened.....

ahh....I see. Ya left that part out of the pic caption...lol

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
2003KJ said:
SiLveRLiB2k2 said:
2003KJ said:

ahh....I see. Ya left that part out of the pic caption...lol

i'll scan some photos from that event..it was pretty fun..unfortunately, that was the only pic I have of me...My friend didnt take too many shots...since he rode with me the next time around...

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, sorry to hear about that. I bet that you are glad to get your KJ back! Where you completely satisfied with the repair job and paint? Any issues?

Mine has been in the shop now for a week from hitting a deer and I have been missing it. This last weekend I had some trails planned with some friends and I had to ride along! There was some nice mud too! =P~

Anyway, along with having full-time four-wheel drive, I would also suggest spending the extra $600 for ABS. I think it's worth it and helps to maintain control during hard breaking and to not lock up the wheels. Of course ABS doesn't guarantee that you stop faster, but I would rather have it on any vehicle then not. I have been impressed with ABS over the past winter on a 4x4, as well on other cars that I have.

Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bambi Killer! So were you able to salvage any good meat?

But seriously, 4whl drive won't do squat on black ice. Now if your driving a manual trans vehicle and hit black ice, push in the clutch and coast while steering out of it. As for steering (actually in any type of skid), with both hands at 10 & 2 (like on a clock) you want to continue looking in the direction of the lane up ahead. In other words, if you stare at the ditch, tree or whatever, that you're heading for, your doomed. If your into a spin then obviously it's too late. The worst thing you can do when hitting black ice is touch the brakes! This is what causes total loss of control of your vehicle. I've hit black ice once. It was 2:30AM in January while crossing over the top of Flagstaff, Arizona. Oh yeah, I was in a Peterbuilt 18 wheeler pulling a 48' aluminum flatbed trailer. I did exactly as I dascribed above, just pushed in the clutch and steered right down the steep mountain hill. It was a straight-away and it felt like I was floating on air but I made it safely over that black ice without mishap.

Too many people think they can speed over snow & ice just because they're in a 4whl drive vehicle. Well I'm here to inform, the cemetary is full of these idiots.

Think Spring!

- Hammer

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
Hammer said:
Too many people think they can speed over snow & ice just because they're in a 4whl drive vehicle. Well I'm here to inform, the cemetary is full of these idiots.

Think Spring!

- Hammer

oh yeah....i just saw about 45 of them this past winter.....
"oh, I have a BMW X5, whats this ice you talk of? -hits brakes, go about 15 feet past intersection - yeah, i did that on purpose" idiots...nothing beats the wrath of mother nature...nothing!!!!!!