Couple Questions Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sleepyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First I am getting new Upper control arms from JBA, should I be replacing anything else?

For an 04 gas 3.7 is the timing chain lifetime? I read someplace that they dont need replaced, is this true? I need a water pump and was thinking of doing the timing chain and other stuff at same time.... I am still under 100k miles yet.

Hood louvers or some kinda scoop or?? to get more air under the hood/release more heat? I live in AZ and my lil libby gets mighty hot.

Since my lift (Thanks Tom) she performs so darn great! what is the next performance step.things I should be saving for?

Thanks!!

Jim

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dunno bout lifetime on timing chains but I had to do mine 12 mnths ago they stretch and get a bad rattle

2004 3.7 limited

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gets pretty hot here in SA as well!

My 2002 Export CRD has mechanical fan but not a separate electric fan as later model CRDs do and on a slow crawl on a hot humid day through a National Park...max 50 kmh on asphalt roads and 40 kmh on dirt road...I could feel the heat buildup under the hood.

I saw a quick-fix on one of the KJ sites which helped a bit.

Lift up the hood and on the firewall in front of the wipers is a rubber strip sealing the rear of the hood when closed to the firewall. Simply remove this rubber strip and heat has some more access to escape from the engine bay!

I ideally need to find an electric fan to add to the existing mechanical fan!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
First I am getting new Upper control arms from JBA, should I be replacing anything else?

For an 04 gas 3.7 is the timing chain lifetime? I read someplace that they dont need replaced, is this true? I need a water pump and was thinking of doing the timing chain and other stuff at same time.... I am still under 100k miles yet.

Hood louvers or some kinda scoop or?? to get more air under the hood/release more heat? I live in AZ and my lil libby gets mighty hot.

Since my lift (Thanks Tom) she performs so darn great! what is the next performance step.things I should be saving for?

Thanks!!

Jim

Pontiac GTP hood lovers do a great job, have ran them on XJs, and my 04 , still looking for a set for my 03
Lots of people way over what you have and no issues with the timing chain

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
dunno bout lifetime on timing chains but I had to do mine 12 mnths ago they stretch and get a bad rattle

2004 3.7 limited

I don't know anything about timing chains stretching or the physical dimension of the chains increasing. Seems unlikely without them breaking but I do know the timing chain hydraulic tensioners can wear/weaken and cause the rattle. Had that on my 02. Just changed the tensioners and rattle gone.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks!!

Jim
my mechanic showed me the old chains vs new the old were definitely longer just enough that the tensioner could no longer take up slack

2004 3.7 limited

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
my mechanic showed me the old chains vs new the old were definitely longer just enough that the tensioner could no longer take up slack

2004 3.7 limited

Interesting. Lucky you didn't jump timing. Hopefully he did the tensioners too, cuz they definitely weaken with age and that couldn't have been good for them. How many miles were on them?

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did the full kit,tensioners, guides , chains etc. think it was about 232000 km when they went.

2004 3.7 limited