Could this be the end for my KJ CRD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IanD

Reaction score
Greetings all of the way from sunny South Africa! So my KJ seems to be dying a slow, painful death ... It developed an oil leak a little while back which turned out to be the rear main seal. I had it sorted, took it to Botswana on safari and we laughed and played in the sand and all seemed right with the world.

Then it started leaking again ... The mechanic who did the rear main seal couldn't see anything wrong, but after consulting with a few friends in the business, he believes the leak is being caused by excessive blow-by. Something that is apparently a wear-and-tear issue and can only be fixed with an overhaul (reckon my pockets are a bit shallow for that). After asking around on another forum some of the guys reckon it could be the crankcase ventilation valve.

Any KJ owners out there experience anything like this? I have a 2003 Liberty 2.8 CRD Limited with about 195000kms (121167 miles)? The mechanic is going to check out the valve tomorrow. Anyone know of anything else I should ask him to check?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings all of the way from sunny South Africa! So my KJ seems to be dying a slow, painful death ... It developed an oil leak a little while back which turned out to be the rear main seal. I had it sorted, took it to Botswana on safari and we laughed and played in the sand and all seemed right with the world.

Then it started leaking again ... The mechanic who did the rear main seal couldn't see anything wrong, but after consulting with a few friends in the business, he believes the leak is being caused by excessive blow-by. Something that is apparently a wear-and-tear issue and can only be fixed with an overhaul (reckon my pockets are a bit shallow for that). After asking around on another forum some of the guys reckon it could be the crankcase ventilation valve.

Any KJ owners out there experience anything like this? I have a 2003 Liberty 2.8 CRD Limited with about 195000kms (121167 miles)? The mechanic is going to check out the valve tomorrow. Anyone know of anything else I should ask him to check?

Welcome to the Forum!
It could be the PCV valve is clogged...this valve sits on top of the valve cover and has a pipe on it to deliver oil into the intake of the Turbo which then finds its way through the CAC intercooler and into the inlet manifold where it gets burnt off.

Lots of people block this pipe off at the turbo intake and add an Elephant Hose Mod or EHM that runs the oil direct onto the ground or a cleaner solution is to collect the oil in a container.

If the PCV valve is not clogged then you may have worn rings...what oil are you using?
I use Shell Rottela Ultimate pure synthetic 5W40.

It is not that major a task to re-build the engine...it uses replaceable wet cylinder liners so you can change those and fit new rings at the same time...worth replacing the timing belt if needed. The Export manuals state that the belt needs to be changed every 160,000 kms but most people reckon 100,000 kms is better.

You can download the 2003 Service Manuals here...includes circuit diagrams but this covers the USA CRDS only which have some engine differences.

So what you must first do is download the supplement "2.5_2.8 Export Diesel" section which covers our Export CRD motors, transmissions etc. perfectly:icon_wink:

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

Mr_G

Reaction score

Howzit bud, where in SA you from, also in SA from the East Rand... I might be able to help you out...

IanD

Reaction score
Howzit. I'm in Durban. But any suggestions are welcome...the mechanic has taken a look at the crankcase ventilation valve and it seems to be fine.

Mr_G

Reaction score
Howzit. I'm in Durban. But any suggestions are welcome...the mechanic has taken a look at the crankcase ventilation valve and it seems to be fine.

Ok yeah, Im up here in GP, so quite difficult for me to say without having a look.

IanD

Reaction score
Yep, it seems most of the knowledgeable Jeep experts are based in JHB. I've battled to find an expert in KZN.