Coolant system question! (Blown upper radiator hose)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya the idea is that you use a proper hex socket and apply downward force, while then using the long handle ratchet /breaker bar.
Fluid film try that. If it is starting to strip inside -rethink the plan at that point.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will look into that! I will say, for some reason the bleed valve bolt/nut is impossible to get off my jeep. I tried the big allen key, almost broke it, tried an impact with an alllen key adapter, tried a big solid metal key and hitting it with a hammer. that thing will not move (all of this after using PBlaster 3 times and letting it sit for a long time).

as a dyi-er i would stop trying anything if i started breaking tools.
I'd just fill it up as much as I can through the upper rad hose.

I think the coolant pressure tool will help push some of the coolant along as you pressurize the system.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Do it when the engine is up to temp... should expand the aluminum more than the steel hex. Take some teflon tape or something and wrap your bit with it to help take up the space from it rounding out. Give the bit a few hits with the sledge to help. Otherwise drilling it out might be the only option. Once it breaks free don't take it completely out till it cools down.

Or just fill through the upper rad hose and in the reservoir.

CWBenjamin

Reaction score
Car seems to be doing great after it got hot enough to cycle the fluid. Thanks everyone for the help!

CWBenjamin

Reaction score
Also, I ended up pulling the overflow tube that goes to the reservoir side, off the reservoir, and pouring coolant down that into the radiator/upper hose.