Coolant question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geof3

Reaction score
After reading various opinions on coolants etc. I need to know the thoughts on a specific situation. I removed my filler cap and failed to completely lock it down this weekend.(winner) All was well until I hit the four wheel road and it worked its way loose. Spilled about a gallon of coolant everywhere. No overheating or otherwise. I was relatively close to a town and purchased the universal coolant as that was the only option they had other than the usual stuff. So, I have a gallon of universal in my block. Had to drive about 165 miles home. IS it ok leave it until the next service interval, or go ahead and get the flush done and get the stuff out?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Just to mention in coolant threads like this HOAT Or Zerex G05 is the right stuff to use.

In the situation where freezing conditions are not present, instead of adding the wrong coolant, using a gallon of distilled water would have been the better choice.
That would have allowed a quick drain & refill with Hoat & to bring it back with use of a coolant tester.

Last edited:

Geof3

Reaction score
Just to mention in coolant threads like this HOAT Or Zerex G05 is the right stuff to use.

In the situation where freezing conditions are not present, instead of adding the wrong coolant, using a gallon of distilled water would have been the better choice.
That would have allowed a quick drain & refill with Hoat & to bring it back with use of a coolant tester.

The simple fact is I have no idea what coolant is in it currently. So, HOAT it is in the morning. Regarding distilled water, my brain didn't even go there. Never realized coolant in these is so sensitive. Still learning... :)

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The simple fact is I have no idea what coolant is in it currently. So, HOAT it is in the morning. Regarding distilled water, my brain didn't even go there. Never realized coolant in these is so sensitive. Still learning... :)
Considering a flush is required, may I point you in the right direction, a dealer flush.
They have the correct re-circulating machine to remove all of the old stuff and install the HOAT for you correctly.
A few years back when mine was dealer flushed, total charge was $200 if I remember right. Well worth it IMHO.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering a flush is required, may I point you in the right direction, a dealer flush.
They have the correct re-circulating machine to remove all of the old stuff and install the HOAT for you correctly.
A few years back when mine was dealer flushed, total charge was $200 if I remember right. Well worth it IMHO.

I agree with Tim - the dealer is actually the preferred option with this type of service.

The dealers in my area (Northern Ohio) charge around $125US for the service - and you're guaranteed to get the correct coolant type. And their flush system gets the gunk out of the system so you don't have residual bad coolant in the system :waytogo:

Bob

Geof3

Reaction score
I used a local shop with the proper tools and coolant. Got it done today. All good now. Distilled water if it ever happens again. Once bit, twice shy! On to front driveshaft rear CV replacement tomorrow. Close, so close to getting all the little stuff done.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can actually drain the entire system your self! Just remove the drain plugs located under the middle freeze out plug on each side of the engine block, yes you do need to move the starter out of the way. This is really the best way to change out all the coolant because you are draining the water jackets and the entire system completely.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.