Coolant leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2005 is now leaking coolant - on top of all the other issues. I haven't crawled under it yet - haven't had time the last couple of days. Its on the passenger side in the reservoir area - only lower. The heater core hoses are fine and everything that can be seen from top appears dry - anything down low on that side that involves coolant - besides a freeze plug?

Nothing leaking inside and no coolant smell inside - just a small puddle in the garage every morning.

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the lower hose near the thermostat. I had a small leak from that joint. Replaced the hose and clamp and all is well. Also check out the overflow reservoir and make sure the hoses are seated right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll check the lower hose - the overflow tank area is dry - both visually and felt the hoses on it and the hoses leading to the heater core.

If the lower hose leaks - does it run towards the back of the engine?

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wind is going to push a lot of the liquid towards the back of the engine....

rbtconsultants

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The freeze plug on the back of my passenger head was dripping. It dripped down on the exhaust pipe. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from because it is behind the head next to the firewall, right under the coolant reservoir. Eventually and suddenly it went from a drip to a leak and I lost the coolant in the engine, overheated, and dropped a valve.

Don't ignore it.

Bob

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The freeze plug on the back of my passenger head was dripping. It dripped down on the exhaust pipe. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from because it is behind the head next to the firewall, right under the coolant reservoir. Eventually and suddenly it went from a drip to a leak and I lost the coolant in the engine, overheated, and dropped a valve.

Don't ignore it.

Bob

That explains a couple things. I notice when its being driven there doesn't seem to be much or any puddle - most likely burning off on contact with the hot exhaust pipe. When it sits over night the garage it leaves a mess.

Members online

No members online now.