Coolant Leak, trouble tracking it down.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my way home from work last night I noticed my heat wasn't all that warm, but I did have it turned down, so I didn't think much of it. Thismorning I went out, and I had it turned up and got no heat at all. I immediately checked the coolant level and my bottle was pretty much empty, and there was coolant everywhere under the hood. It took a gallon to fill it back up, but I can't seem to figure out where it was coming from since it was over so much stuff under the hood. It seemed to be concentrated down near the steering rack, where it was actually puddled in a couple of the indentations in the rack.

I had no choice but to leave it at the dealer, been 4 hours and haven't heard from them. I took it on a trip over the week-end, and I noticed a squeaking when I left, but it was gone by the time I got where I was going, not sure if it was a related issue.

I fear it's a waterpump, but I can't understand how one could go bad at this low of a milage. I have 42k on it, everything else is in great shape.

Anybody have any input?

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got a call from the dealer, water pump it is. I searched and found a few other people on here that had the same trouble at lower milage...kinda odd I think, a waterpump should be one of the last things to go bad at low miles. ](*,)

But it's covered under powertrain warranty so I just pay the $100, which is still better than full price at least...gotta love 7/70.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats awesome, I would of never thought it was covered under the powertrain warranty!

Do you happen to have the towing package? Just wondering if you have the engine driven fan. O:)

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Thats awesome, I would of never thought it was covered under the powertrain warranty!

Do you happen to have the towing package? Just wondering if you have the engine driven fan. O:)

Yeah I wasn't sure that it would be covered either, but the service rep brought it up before I did...they're also doing the swinggate recall that's been out on it since 2004.

I don't have the towing package though, wish I did though.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's good that you got it fixed and under warrenty too.

Years ago, I bought a new car and the water pump went at 8,000 miles so I guess anything can be defective.

I never heard of the swingate recall. What was that all about?

Dave

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave said:
It's good that you got it fixed and under warrenty too.

Years ago, I bought a new car and the water pump went at 8,000 miles so I guess anything can be defective.

I never heard of the swingate recall. What was that all about?

Dave

Yeah, I just got back with it, everything seems to be fine, nice shiny new pump on there.

The swingate recall is a customer satisfaction issue that they issued back around 2004. I guess what was happening was that water was getting down in the actuator for the rear glass, causing it to short out and open the glass on its own. Apparently people were coming out to their cars, finding the rear glass open and such. I never had a problem with mine, but if they want to put a new part on it for free, have at it. \:D/

2003KJ

Reaction score
Interesting your WP went at 42K. I've got a leak on mine, but its coming from the lower radiator hose.

And on the rear gate recall, My Jeep suffered from the glass randomly opening. I'd come out in the morning only to find the glass open, when I KNOW I had shut it the night before....About a month later and the recall came out.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Interesting your WP went at 42K. I've got a leak on mine, but its coming from the lower radiator hose.

That's what I thought it was at first, but it was everywhere, and I couldn't tell for sure. I could see where it was being sprayed onto everything, clear up to the hood liner.

I'm just glad it's taken care of, I was really disappointed though to see something like this go bad at such a low milage. yupnope.gif

2003KJ

Reaction score
thecause17 said:
2003KJ said:

That's what I thought it was at first, but it was everywhere, and I couldn't tell for sure. I could see where it was being sprayed onto everything, clear up to the hood liner.

I'm just glad it's taken care of, I was really disappointed though to see something like this go bad at such a low milage. yupnope.gif

Mine is just leaking on the bottom of the jeep....and you can see it seeping out of the hose right after the clamp that is connecting it to the engine.

Popped the hood to check the oil while I was filling up the other day and noticed the coolant sitting at the bottom....made for one of those "huh....that doesn't look good" moments.

For now, it's kinda leaking on and off. Every now and then it'll leave a couple of drops on the ground. I'm just gonna keep and eye on it for now. I got the 7/70 but I doubt I can get it replaced under that. I need to do a flush anyways. So when the time comes for me to replace the hose, i'll probably just do it myself and flush out the system while i'm at it. Figures it has to be the LOWER hose leaking....it couldn't be the upper, so that I wouldn't have to pretty much drain all of the coolant out or anything.... ](*,)

jeepezee

Reaction score
If your jeep water pump fails, replacing it immediately is the wisest thing to do. Ignoring it would cause worse case like overheating of the engine since the whole cooling system doesn't work efficiently. #-o

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water pump on an 05 at 500 miles. According to my dealer, there was a known problem with the shaft seals on several.