considerations for a 4.7L swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, I have a serious opportunity to go forward with this as a project. I've been told that its definitely doable by one of the guys that I ride with, but that I'd be crazy because of the IFS regardless of having a D30s/RCV CV axles.

I was told that my ring an pinion would be too small to handle the additional HP.

Thoughts?

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...the 8,25 axle has been around a LONG time and has seen duty behind 318's and 360's. Pretty certain that it will live just fine (the one in my built 318 Duster did). Besides, I don't think the 25 hp jump (early stock 4.7's are rated at 235hp) is going to hurt anything, unless you plan on some serious modifications. I have done some research on this, seems the best donor vehicle to find if you can is an '05 4.7 powered Ram. The 545RE will be a bolt in since it was available with the CRD in a Liberty. Not sure about transfer case though. If you happen across a set of HO cams, grab them if you can afford it. they are getting harder and harder to find and work really well.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This intrigues me. Ive always loved cramming big ass motors in little bodys. Saw this guy in FL who was putting twin turbo 2jz motors in honda s2000's. They can run 30lbs of boost if he swaps the rear for one out of a nissan sylvia... but i digress, good luck with the swap and keep us posted youll have one bad jeep when its all done!

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Besides, I don't think the 25 hp jump (early stock 4.7's are rated at 235hp) is going to hurt anything, unless you plan on some serious modifications.

This is my thought, as well.

If I can manage to keep the physical cost below $1000.00 (excluding engine), I will pull the trigger this weekend. I'm still putting together a parts list.

Here's what I have so far:

• 2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7L v8, plus ECM and wiring harness from the same vehicle.
  • Summit Racing Street & Strip Aluminum Race Radiator
  • Flex-a-lite Syclone S-Blade Electric Fan

Not much to it. What about parts like the alternator, AC compressor, etc.? Can I transplant them off of the KJ?

DocHemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If I can manage to keep the physical cost below $1000.00 (excluding engine), I will pull the trigger this weekend. I'm still putting together a parts list.

Not much to it. What about parts like the alternator, AC compressor, etc.? Can I transplant them off of the KJ?

Don't see why you couldn't.

Nice to see you sourcing parts from Summit Racing....that helps me out LOL (wife works there) :friday:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If your doing 100% of the labor your still going to be way above $1000 mark.All the little things you will need will cost well over that.Getting all the computers to function and talk to each other is the hard partI know of one company that can do that with a simple plug and play but it will cost over $2000 alone after programming.

Mods to the front crossmember/radiator support will be needed to push everything forward as the water pump will touch the stock radiator(I've measure a few times).You can retain all your accessories as they will bolt right on the 4.7 as they use the same chain cover.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your doing 100% of the labor your still going to be way above $1000 mark. All the little things you will need will cost well over that. Getting all the computers to function and talk to each other is the hard part. I know of one company that can do that with a simple plug and play but it will cost over $2000 alone after programming.

Mods to the front crossmember/radiator support will be needed to push everything forward as the water pump will touch the stock radiator(I've measure a few times). You can retain all your accessories as they will bolt right on the 4.7 as they use the same chain cover.

Wow that chip is expensive.

I plan on doing the install with my mechanic and this will be my first time actually working on an engine. Nervous and excited about the whole prospect.

What other "little things" are we talking about here? What about the HO cams that 04liberty mentioned? what does HO equate to? (There's a yo mama joke in here somewhere).

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow that chip is expensive.

I plan on doing the install with my mechanic and this will be my first time actually working on an engine. Nervous and excited about the whole prospect.

What other "little things" are we talking about here? What about the HO cams that 04liberty mentioned? what does HO equate to? (There's a yo mama joke in here somewhere).
That is a whole stand alone PCM that controls the 4.7 and talks to the OE 3.7 PCM to make it still think it has a 3.7.

The little things are stuff like hoses,nuts/bolts,and all that other stuff that no one thinks about but adds up real fast

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've searched everywhere for a set of HO cams. They simply don't exist anymore. I'll keep an eye out on ebay, but all the stores I've checked haven't had them in stock for well over a year. :(

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually see them on the Dodge forums, they're a popular swap (when they can be found) for 02-07 4.7 Rams.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually see them on the Dodge forums, they're a popular swap (when they can be found) for 02-07 4.7 Rams.

I was searching for the HP increase that the HO cams would provide over the stock 4.7L without much luck. The stock 4.7L is 235 HP vs the stock 3.7L at 210 HP. Not a huge jump, but there's a lot more engine to mod with bigger results.

What dodge forums were you on?

Edit: HO cams provide an approximate 25 HP over the non-HO 4.7L.

Last edited:

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was searching for the HP increase that the HO cams would provide over the stock 4.7L without much luck. The stock 4.7L is 235 HP vs the stock 3.7L at 210 HP. Not a huge jump, but there's a lot more engine to mod with bigger results.

What dodge forums were you on?

Edit: HO cams provide an approximate 25 HP over the non-HO 4.7L.

Yeah, the HO in the GC's was rated at 260hp, but it was also a stronger engine. The crank was forged, it had the hotter cams, even 2 knock sensors with some other refinements. I'm usually on 4 of them, Dodge Forum, Dodge Talk, RamForumz and Ram Forum. Somebody just sold a still NIB set they had sitting around after buying them from a dealership a few years ago.

termin8ed

Reaction score
I looked into this last year and may or may not still consider it depending on what I do with the jeep in the next year. I've looked at the connector pinouts for the 4.7 and 3.7 and if you were to take the pcm from the donor most of the body side inputs and outputs are the same pins. the only real difference is the amount of drivers in the 4.7 pcm for the extra injectors/coils. only issue would be the skim code if you have the theft deterent. This is for the jtec controlers.
If I remember right look for a donor that has the 45 or 545 and get the whole harness. the 4.7 pcm would be able to control both.
Wouldn't recommend using the 42 behind the 4.7's.
if anyone needs electrical diagrams or pinouts for this let me know.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Check Tim Lindsay on facebook- LOSTJEEPS
he started back in June hoping to have it done in a weekend
Has it running but not the way it should yet, not driveable .

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your doing 100% of the labor your still going to be way above $1000 mark.All the little things you will need will cost well over that.Getting all the computers to function and talk to each other is the hard partI know of one company that can do that with a simple plug and play but it will cost over $2000 alone after programming.

Mods to the front crossmember/radiator support will be needed to push everything forward as the water pump will touch the stock radiator(I've measure a few times).You can retain all your accessories as they will bolt right on the 4.7 as they use the same chain cover.

Labor isn't really a concern. I have an awesome mechanic on retainer that costs me $125.00/mo regardless of the work being done. Hard to believe, but oh so true. ;)

What's the name of the company that does the computer work? I'd like to talk with them.

Latest posts

Members online