confused about daystar lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96camarors

Reaction score
i just got my KJ last and week and was looking at just getting an affordable lift for it. i read through many of these threads and am still confused. will the daystar lift give me all of the front end problems that the rustys coil spacer has?

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no the rustys cloi spacer you are more thatn likely talking about is the OTT, over the top spacer, and daystar isnt the same thay are actually the best spacer lift you can buy for the KJ, and dont forget longer rear shocks and bumpstops, if you want the rancho rear shocks the part number is RSX17004

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, it's a spacer lift. You take apart the front struts, add a spacer and a new top plate and re-assemble the front. Then remove the rear coils and add a spacer under them and add longer rear shocks. Also you want to add longer bumpstops.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, all round the Daystar lift kit is a good "beginner"/ economical lift kit?
For all you guys with this system fitted, how is the ride quality compared to stock?
For the price it sounds very reasonable.

Cheers
Ryan

The only problem I had when running the Daystar lift was coil binding under compression. The spacer compresses the front spring and over time you will find that it weakens the spring allowing the coils to touch one another when you hit a good bump. Note that this was the old original Daystar kit and they may have shortened up the spacers by now, not sure.

On road ride and slow wheeling was never a problem, the stiffer front end felt better overall and it wheeled great. For the price you can't go wrong for most mild to moderate wheeling situations.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what wheeling I do and daily driving it feels great. I love the way it handles and am glad I bought it. Eventually I'll get some OME coils & new front struts but that's when I get the money together, maybe late next year.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thinking was go with the Daystar set up because it is an inexpensive set up.
My wife on the other hand said I should just buy the 4 inch Jeepin' by Al lift kit... Or the 6 inch kit, my choice!
I knew there was a reason I married her!

DAMN nice WIFE!!

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife on the other hand said I should just buy the 4 inch Jeepin' by Al lift kit... Or the 6 inch kit, my choice!

Don't forget, They can turn on ya in an instant!! Lol!

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Beware - they never forget when they let you buy something expensive -
so you can never question her buying anything.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Can I get one of those? :D

I'm buying everything used to cut costs...hey, I need to save up my lunch money so my wife doesn't find out :p

Back on topic, the old Daystar kit like I have, that is a big no-no if you ever want to go ofroad. The 2.5" kit however comes with extended top plates so it doesn't compress the spring but places it higher up. Thus making the strut longer.

Ryan, has she seen these? These are 50/50 tires, but with the looks of an MT..(mt's have the nasty habbit to be very noisy on road)

KUMHO KL71 Road Venture

You must be registered for see images

They look even better in person Tony!
$191.00 per tire for 245-75-16. Not too bad for Canadian prices considering that BFG Mud terrain in the same size sell for $270 each.
In the States at a local Walmart the BFG retails for $149.00. Even with exchange it's cheaper to buy 'em south of the border. Especially when your looking to buy 5 tires. Thats like a $500-600 savings... That can be used towards a lift kit.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. The $159 one does not have the stops. I got P/N: KJ09116BK kit and it did not have the extended bump stops. But there are a ton of threads to tell you what to do for the extended bump stops...