Computer/Electrical problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seaglen7284

Reaction score
i have an 06 and today my ipod quit working on the radio, the steering wheel controls and the cruise cuts in and out, and the ESP/BAS light, the Air bag light, the ABS light and the Traction control light all flash at the same time when im driving. Can anyone tell me what is happening???

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow... Totally possessed!!

Hmm looking at the association of the systems affected, maybe a problem with the clockspring in the steering wheel causing connection issues, but that wouldn't affect the ABS and Ipod problems, but could be the problem with the controls on the steering wheel and the cruise control, also the airbag light due to a bag connection to the steering wheel airbag.

Did all this start happening at once?

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. clean your battery terminals
2. load test your battery
3. check for a bad ground

seaglen7284

Reaction score
yeah, i went into a store and when i came out and started it up, the ipod function went away (even tho it still showed on the ipod that it was connected), and then all those lights came on, and they've been flashing periodically since then

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
By chance you didn't swear at your jeep and say something like damn "car" did you?

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By chance you didn't swear at your jeep and say something like damn "car" did you?

Good thinking, TC. Seaglen, remember how it works in Christine. Just talk real sweet to her, and tell her you're sorry.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
clockspring.
Steering wheel controls transmit signals via the clockspring
ESP (including BAS and TCS, which are part of the same programming) system measures steering angle via the clockspring
Betting the cruise control doesn't work, either.

You needs a clockspring replacement, sir.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
clockspring.
Steering wheel controls transmit signals via the clockspring
ESP (including BAS and TCS, which are part of the same programming) system measures steering angle via the clockspring
Betting the cruise control doesn't work, either.

You needs a clockspring replacement, sir.

Ahh, thats right the ESP does measure steering angle forgot about that. (glad i don't have that crap)

Why would it affect his ipod adapter? Just screwing up the BUS including the stereo maybe since they all function off the same?

seaglen7284

Reaction score
Thanks guys... it sounds like the clockspring, Im gonna get it checked out. As for the ipod it has worked fine for years since i put it in and when this happened it stopped recognizing it, i'll see what the shop finds out and i will go from there.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be the system BUS is screwed up then if its just not recognizing it, the steering wheel controls for the radio might be causing troubles for it if they are shorting out or doing something odd thanks to the bad clockspring.

Latest posts

Members online