Compressor Possibly Gone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so this morning the A/C worked perfectly fine, ice was being thrown out of the vents. This afternoon, I had to go to a different station. I get the engine fired up A/C blowing, cold air in just a few seconds. Four blocks down the road, gone done finished no more cold air. I get into the shop get my spacers put on and pop the hood. Compressor is not working, feeling up the hoses none were cold. So possibly a small leak, I pick up a can of refridgerant hook up and the gauge goes right to the red. Okay, so I purge out get the gauge to the blue. Clutch doesn't activate, nothing. Checked the relay, fine, checked the fuse fine. Clutch will spin by hand freely even with the engine running. So my guess is from the other thread which I am not going to hijack, is shot or worse the compressor is finished off because it didn't even activate when I turned on the defroster. Thoughts.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just because the relay and fuse are fine don't mean squat if it's not getting TO the clutch. Have you unhooked the wire going into clutch and checked it with a simple test light?

Bob

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just because the relay and fuse are fine don't mean squat if it's not getting TO the clutch. Have you unhooked the wire going into clutch and checked it with a simple test light?

Bob

A. I was at my apartment complex.
B. I was at my apartment complex.
C. Means I had no access to my electrical testing equipment.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You asked for thoughts, my thought was to start with the most simple diagnostic procedure before pushing the "OMG the compressor's FUBARED" button.

Bob

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not being a jack-ass but your response wasn't in my view polite and I was working at night with a flashlight, going over basics making sure it wasn't something simple such as a fuse or relay. I'll leave it at that, now then I did spend about an hour with a hot running engine, my electrical equipment and I have no power going to all three harnesses Compressor, High and Low switches so I don't know if its the wiring or the HVAC Control Unit, I have power going into the HVAC Control Unit, I can jump the rear defroster but I can't jump the A/C.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You tried jumping the Air-con compressor on but it didn't engage?
Did you try checking the wires for conductivity?

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have checked and I think the issue is the control unit. Just that without a full diagram I'm shooting blind, I would like a diagram just to confirm which one I think is for the AC switch on the Control Unit. I know which one now, controls the the blend door, the defroster, the ground and the hot wire. But problem is when I thought I had the wire for the A/C and tried to jump it; it just jumped the Defroster instead.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything else works on the control unit the blower motor resistor is fine the fan works at all speeds. I can change all the individual settings from recirculation to defrost. I can turn on the rear defroster I can turn off the rear defroster I can also adjust the temperature settings from hot to cold. Just when I push the button for the air conditioning nothing happens. Now I had heard that there is like some sort of third additional relay which is on the passenger side but I don't know if that is true which is an independent air conditioning relay.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wish I could help with the button issue. I have an 2003 so my A/C on is part of the dial.
try the 2006 FSM. there are wiring diagrams at the end. Hopefully it's close to your 2007.

I doubt there's another relay. The AC relay should be in the PDC which you've already checked out.

Another thing you can try is to jump the low side sensor by the accumulator by the wire wall.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/jump-ac-clutch-53751/

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If had I power to the High Switch, Low Switch, and the Compressor itself I would try to jump the compressor, I think tomorrow night after I study the diagrams tonight try to independently jump the compressor with one of my trickle chargers from an outside and see if the compressor kicks on that way as well. If I may order a new control unit, hook it up and see what it does. If the AC kicks on then I have solved the problem unless I am able to successfully jump at the harness which I may give a second shot after diagram looking if it has the diagram I am looking for.

The AC Control is on the second Wiring Harness, I think tomorrow night before I order the part I am going to attempt to jump it and see if it does anything, hopefully I can jump it and leave the jumper wire in place so I have working AC for the time until the new A/C control unit arrives.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a PowerProbe? If not I'd buy one if your planning on doing any automotive electrical diagnoses.Tool Topia has them on sale right now for $97(PPIII).I'd use a PP to just apply 12v directly to the clutch and see if it engages,white wire is B+ and black wire is ground.If it "clicks" it's not a clutch issue.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my basic test light, which I had hooked the to the negative battery terminal, and I had no juice period to all three switches so until I get juice to the switches I can't tell whats what.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checks

I would run a 12v line to the compressor clutch to see if it engages. Since it doesn't close when the AC switch is on, if it closes with the direct 12v feed, this would isolate the problem to either the compressor clutch or the switch, relay, wiring, etc. side. You can also check the input voltage at the compressor electrical connector to see if it is getting 12v when the switch is on.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It took a blown fuse, after getting access to Identifix and seeing it is a common issue but its the Control Unit. It must be shorted out, when I jumped AC Control wire the HVAC control fuse on the side of the dash for a lack of a better term NUKED itself. I also found out after taking apart the center bezel and removing the control unit from the bezel to do the testing, its an aftermarket HVAC unit. Company called WOORY with a non MOPAR part number. So somewhere along the line the same issue must have happened and the control unit shorted out. So I'll order a MOPAR direct replacement and that should 100% Solve the issue.

Latest posts

Members online