Completely destroyed oil pan plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

myisland64

Reaction score
Been a member for close to four years and this is my first post. always found what i needed in a previous forum. Have two Libertys. An 04 and an 06. do most of my own work. my son took the 04 for an oil change at school and went to iffy lube. drain plug area was dented in a bit and plug would not come out. tried everything. breaker bar on 6 sided 13mm socket and it rounded it. Tried socket bolt extractor and it rounded it more. grinded flats and wrench and still nothing. Vice grips with hammer taps and now I have a mangled round stud with nothing working. Next step is to grind it flat and try to drill it out starting small and bigger until There is a thin wall that I can possibly bend inward and collapse and not damage the threads. I will take any advice as I am ready to lose my mind. Thanks

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
This does not sound like much fun. If not leaking and considering how difficult it is to replace the pan..
If this was my jeep I'd have a pro shop deal with it.
Hopefully it can be tapped and not consider a heli coil install.

myisland64

Reaction score
I am thinking the same but in between shops as the one I have leaned on for things I cant do always seems to botch something or overselling. last go around was a valve cover gasket and then I started throwing knock sensor codes. turns out they somehow tore wire from sensor connector. I am afraid they will botch it and then tell me I need to replace pan at $1000.000. I am thinking I will need to tap it even if I can drill it out as I know drilling it will surely damage threads if not super careful. Don't you love how a simple oil change becomes a nightmare.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya oil change nightmares, I hear that. Who needs the bad dreams & serious aggravation!
Luckily I know reliable shop, that allows me do my own lift work on.
Every few years I buy a new drain plug with the new washer, and only myself installs the plug period.
IDK but consider making some calls, possibly a machine shop that has a lift could help you out?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Get a shop to carefully weld another nut to the oil pan bolt
have had to do that many times to ones I bought or customers when a******* at fast oil change places change your oil

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Drill it and use an ez-out? I've had luck that way on a Tracker with every fill and drain plug glued in with plumbers goop.

myisland64

Reaction score
I thought of that but this thing is so damn stuck that even an ez-out will not work. May get it to bite but do not have anything with enough torque to break it free. I think I will go shop route and let them own it. then going to have them install a fumoto. not much off road for this Libby so It should be ok. Will let all know when get final result. Thanks.

Phuc Nguyen

Reaction score
Been a member for close to four years and this is my first post. always found what i needed in a previous forum. Have two Libertys. An 04 and an 06. do most of my own work. my son took the 04 for an oil change at school and went to iffy lube. drain plug area was dented in a bit and plug would not come out. tried everything. breaker bar on 6 sided 13mm socket and it rounded it. Tried socket bolt extractor and it rounded it more. grinded flats and wrench and still nothing. Vice grips with hammer taps and now I have a mangled round stud with nothing working. Next step is to grind it flat and try to drill it out starting small and bigger until There is a thin wall that I can possibly bend inward and collapse and not damage the threads. I will take any advice as I am ready to lose my mind. Thanks

Have had this issue with one of my Liberties. I hammered a 12 points 1/2" socket onto the rounded plug, be patient, and try to get onto the plug as fas as you can. Then use extended iron pipe to ratchet driver and try to break loose with one motion, DO NOT ROCK, or it will strip again. Hope this will help. Good luck.

Latest posts

Members online