Commander Research

Discussion in 'Commander' started by Jeepman56, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Jeepman56

Jeepman56 Full Access Member

My lease is up on my '07 KJ Sport soon and I am currently researching all of my options for if I turn it in. I want to keep the KJ, that is my first priority but if they don't match the price that I want I may have to look towards a Commander. They have great deals on them around here (they just can't seem to sell them) and as we have 2 kids now the KJ fills up pretty quick with strollers and kid stuff so the extra cargo would be great. So my question is if there is anything I should look out for on the Commanders, specific problems with certain years, recalls, weak spots, what do people who have them like or dislike about them. -Nate

2. HoosierJeeper

HoosierJeeper Gold Supporter/Admin Staff Member Administrator

The 3.7 in in is a dog, as I've had one for a rental. I'd get the HEMI. I'd stay away from an 06, as it was the first model year.

3. hyde

hyde Moderator KJ Supporting Member

Do not buy it JUST because it has 3rd row seat... When those rear seats unfold, you barely have any visibility left for the rear. 3.7 is also pretty weak for it if you carry more than 3 passengers. So, you might as well check grand cherokee. If similarly priced, I would go for grand cherokee, eventhough I liked commanders before.

4. Dave

Dave Administrator Administrator Moderator

Yeah, I agree with wjkj. The commander is bigger/heavier than the KJ. I wouldn't even give one a second glance unless it had a v8....even the 4.7L.

Dave