Cold air intake and snorkels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
Thinking about either a cold air intake or a snorkel for my KJ.

Found a couple variations on CAI and a couple snorkels.

Has anyone put a snorkel on their KJ, do you have pictures, likes and dislikes?

Has anyone run a single or a twin cold air intake on their KJ? DO you have any pictures, likes and dislikes?

Any problems with airflow with the snorkel? Loss of performance? Engine codes such as random or specific cylinder misfire indicating not enough air volume?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Many have run or are running a snorkle , mainly for the less dust they get when running off road. Not for what many think a snorkle is for
As far as cold air intakes, the stock box and good paper filter flows better and provides more protection that almost all CAIs
The dual ones you find are just hot air suckers , which decreases performance
and yes I know of a friend who had one for a while
I ran a CAI for 5000 miles to give a fair test, went back to stock box , ( also run NAPAs best paper filters ) which did way better
I do run a 3 inch tube from the stock box to the grill area on the 03 and 04 with a blocking plate that I can shut off in case I go into very deep water

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
Good to hear about the dual ones, they look cool but they do not look like they provide anything cold to the motor.

I ran a snorkel in the desert for last 4 years and it saved me airing out the dust from the paper filter twice a day in Death Valley, Mojave Preserve and Grand Canyon. It was also very nice for that 5ft deep water crossing but a factory air box would be sufficient for that too.

Now a snorkel in a KJ should be around 3" piping diameter for some 7 feet. Any issues with such a restriction on airflow? I had a 4" diameter 7ft long pipe in my V8 and there was not enough vacuum at full throttle and made my motor suffocate and misfire pretty bad. Any issues like that in KJ snorkels?

Generally CAIs increase HP at the expense of decreasing low end torque. Just thinking out loud if I want to spend $40 to get shiny aluminum piping to replace the factory air box or not.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
Many have run or are running a snorkle , mainly for the less dust they get when running off road. Not for what many think a snorkle is for
As far as cold air intakes, the stock box and good paper filter flows better and provides more protection that almost all CAIs
I ran a CAI for 5000 miles to give a fair test, went back to stock box , ( also run NAPAs best paper filters ) which did way better
I do run a 3 inch tube from the stock box to the grill area on the 03 and 04 with a blocking plate that I can shut off in case I go into very deep water

Why did you go back to stock air box after 5k miles? Did it drop your mpg too much?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes less mileage, seemed power was down some
but sound they make makes it seem like its wild LOL but that is all it is , louder intake noise

808inthe949

Reaction score
Hey Tom is the 03/04 the same setup as the 05? Looking at my air box with the grill and front bumper off, I'm not sure where a 3" tube would fit with how the radiator support is located. Do you have a post or thread going over this mod?

Liveoak2480

Reaction score
Hey Tom is the 03/04 the same setup as the 05? Looking at my air box with the grill and front bumper off, I'm not sure where a 3" tube would fit with how the radiator support is located. Do you have a post or thread going over this mod?
I second that. How did you do this. Did you cut the whole in the side or bottom of original air box? Very curious!

808inthe949

Reaction score
The intake on my air box is shaped like a snorkel in that it terminates at a slim opening that is right on top of the cross member just below where the hood opens. If I remove the "snorkel" piece it has a oblong shaped opening that is now facing towards the sky. I can modify that to make a 3" inlet hose fit facing the front of the car, but I don't know where I'm able to run the house so that it terminates in the grill area facing forward of the car. There's a radiator support in the way and the headlight. Where does the hose terminate

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
GOES RIGHT OUT INTO THE LEFT SIDE OF THE GRILL, CAN SNAKE IT RIGHT IN THERE AND YOU DO NOT REMOVE THE STOCK " SNORKLE " YOU DRILL OPEN THE FRONT OF IT, THAT WAY IS GOING INTO DEEP WATER YOU CAN CLOSE OFF THE NEW HOSE AND STILL HAVE STOCK OPENING INTO THE AIRBOX
whoops sorry for all caps, was doing some work related stuff

808inthe949

Reaction score
That's the same for the 05? I have all the plastic off right now (fabing a bumper) and there doesn't look to be a opening large enough for the hose unless it's kinked closed somewhat. There's a triangular price of plastic that sits under the lower right side of the passenger headlight (looking from in front of jeep) is that the access area?

808inthe949

Reaction score
Here's a pic of my 05. The radiator support goes up almost all the way to the headlight

Attachments

• 20210922_170418.jpg
    20210922_170418.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 18

808inthe949

Reaction score
Ok from behind grill. Is the 3" hose coming out of the grill on the bottom right of the headlight or the bottom left by the outer edge of the bumper?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Mid right side of headlight, and does not " come out " but sits behind the grill
you have to look close to even notice it really

808inthe949

Reaction score
Ah ok. When crossing deep water how would you block off the new intake opening? Just stuff something into the hose, or is there a ****** type thing you use?

Latest posts