Coil contact? Thunk rattle noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austerity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after the previous 48 hours of hell trying to get my lift kit installed, and one stripped out OME front strut, I have it all installed (albeit with one factory strut in the front and a new OME on order).

The first time I had everything assembled I had a rattle/thunk noise on the passenger side. I tore everything back apart assuming it was the nut on the top of the coil/strut assembly.

When I got it out, even though I had torqued that nut down, it turned out that it was cross threaded. It either got cross threaded when my wife tightened it down (and I subsequently put a torque wrench on it), or it got stripped when I tried to remove it, I am assuming when it was installed.

Either way, everything is together and I still have the same noise. It sounds like something is very, very loose and rattle/thunking around.

Is this coil contact? I can't notice any spots on the coil springs because they are so f$$$ed up from two days of compressing springs and prying spring compressor pieces out of them. Did I mention the front install has been pure hell?

Anyway, I'm at my wits end and would like some help trying to figure out what the problem is. Everything I have taken loose has been torqued down to proper specs.

Any ideas? :worthy:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Tighten your swaybar end links after the KJ weight-bearing and on the ground? That's a common area for noise if it's not done correctly.

Austerity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tighten your swaybar end links after the KJ weight-bearing and on the ground? That's a common area for noise if it's not done correctly.

I thought I did this correctly, and I retightened them. The noise was still there. Then I removed them. The noise is still there.

Am I right in torquing the upper stabilizer link nut to 100 and the lower to 85?

Austerity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's also a possibility I didn't put the links back on correctly, didn't take photos of that initially. Would that cause this noise?

Austerity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Completely removed the swaybar links again, and the noise is still there. They are not the problem.

EDIT: Also - load bearing KJ on the ground it doesn't appear like the UCA is anywhere near the coil.

Last edited:

Austerity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it figured out!! It was a loose nut on the rear upper control arm bushing. Must have always been loose and the lift amplified it.... because I certainly didn't loosen it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.