Code says turbo overboost??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do what yourself? You haven't even posted the actual DTC. What is the P code you're getting? "turbo overboost" itself doesn't tell anyone much.

There are a lot of reasons why any turbocharged engine can momentarily overboost... but the actual DTC may help avoid checking everything, if we can narrow it down to just the purge valve, or wastegate, etc.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start by checking all vacuum lines. A leaky waste gate line will over boost.

paulowagner

Reaction score
Thankyou for that reality check. I will go back to the Ultra-Tune place and ask for more details. He charged $50 but didnt tell me any real details.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will now check all vacuum lines.

Good, and liek KJ604 said, specifically the vacuum line from the intake to the wastegate. If you don't know what a wastegate is or looks like, a quick google search and you'll have it.

Since the wastegate is what actually controls how much boost the turbo will produce (there are other factors, but let's keep this simple and without math), that is where you'll want to focus.

But I'd at least make sure the shop gives you the actual DTC; sometimes the code, when looked up in other resources, gives a more accurate description of the problem, rather than the generic "turbo overboost". Words like momentary, intermittent, mechanical, all play into this with DTC descriptions.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thankyou for that reality check. I will go back to the Ultra-Tune place and ask for more details. He charged $50 but didnt tell me any real details.
He charged you 50 bucks to read the code but didn't give you the error code serial number? A 12 dollar bluetooth dongle can scan the engine and give you stored errors..

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He charged you 50 bucks to read the code but didn't give you the error code serial number? A 12 dollar bluetooth dongle can scan the engine and give you stored errors..

So can a free trip to the auto parts store.