Clutch/flywheel options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJordan333

Reaction score
So after my throwout bearing went back in my '05 sport this past month, I'm looking into a new clutch and flywheel as I understand that they both have to be changed or it will just chatter. But my real question is do I have any aftermarket clutch or flywheel options? I'm not trying to make the jeep a race car by any means, but I am just curious what's out there that would still last as long as a stock one. Thanks in advance.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When replacing the clutch, you're also replacing the pressure plate. You don't need to replace the (expensive) flywheel, but you do want to take it to a machine shop and get it resurfaced. Now, if the flywheel is checked from it getting overheated, then you need to replace it. But a good used OEM flywheel, and resurfacing, is still going to cost way less than buying a new one.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure which models but some liberties have a flywheel that is curved and should not be machined flat.. just something to keep in mind.

Sent from my HTC One using the power of Mary's purse

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you have the V6 you can not machine the flywheel,either scuff it with 80 grit or buy a new one.If you have the 2.4 gasser I'm pretty sure you can't machine that one due to it being a dual mass flywheel.

KJordan333

Reaction score
I believe mine is actually a dual mass also so it can't be machined down so I'm getting a new one. But I was just curious if there were any options. Not exactly like a racing flywheel or anything like that, but are there any quality options that may be able to handle a little more.... use?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had mine apart yet, but pictures/illustrations of the 3.7 flywheel show it as flat (appearing at least). So what is unique about the shape of the surface that won't allow it to be dressed down?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had mine apart yet, but pictures/illustrations of the 3.7 flywheel show it as flat (appearing at least). So what is unique about the shape of the surface that won't allow it to be dressed down?
It may appear flat but it has a slight bend in the surface.A straight edge will show that.It's to reduce clutch chatter,if you have it machined you will get chatter after a few thousand miles.

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had mine apart and after 140k my flywheel showed no wear - used 180 grit sandpaper as per shop manual.

Also I picked up a used flywheel before doing my clutch just in case I needed it from an 02 liberty and with a straightedge I could not find any curve, but the manual does state there is and does not advise machining.

Last edited:

KJordan333

Reaction score
I guess I just heard that it could not be machined so I'm getting a new one. But are there any options?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the Service Manuals for all Manual versions state that the flywheel is curved and cannot be machined flat...only lightly cleaned off with Emory Cloth!

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's always disheartening to hear. I have a nice clutch chatter to mine, mostly once its warm. I may have to just replace the flywheel then

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For my 04 there are no new flywheels available from anyone anywhere period, I think later years they are available.

KJordan333

Reaction score
I actually just picked my car up from the shop with a stock luk clutch and flywheel so I guess I'll have to be happy with that. Although honestly, it feels like a whole different car! and for 1100 instead of the 1800 that the dealer wanted.

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had mine apart and after 140k my flywheel showed no wear - used 180 grit sandpaper as per shop manual.

Also I picked up a used flywheel before doing my clutch just in case I needed it from an 02 liberty and with a straightedge I could not find any curve, but the manual does state there is and does not advise machining.

I also picked up a brand new flywheel when I did my clutch in October(last one in the USA, a nightmare to find.) Using a straight edge with a light behind it, I can confirm that the flywheel is perfectly flat with no curve behind it. The transmission guy I use also confirmed this.

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Using a straight edge with a light behind it, I can confirm that the flywheel is perfectly flat with no curve behind it. The transmission guy I use also confirmed this.

That's interesting, and good to know. I'm still trying to wrap my head around why "the flywheel surface needs to have a slight curve otherwise it will chatter", when for decades and decades and decades, clutch assemblies have been flat and work perfectly fine without chatter. Did you check the pressure plate and clutch disc (old and new ones) for perfect flatness as well?

Last edited:

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I did not. I was the most curious about the flywheel that I forgot to ask about the old clutch and pressure plate. :disgust: All I know is that they were in great shape (along with the old flywheel) with 78,000 miles on them.

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious about the other clutch components, because what good is a "curved" flywheel clutch surface without the disc and/or pressure plate being curved to match.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also picked up a brand new flywheel when I did my clutch in October(last one in the USA, a nightmare to find.) Using a straight edge with a light behind it, I can confirm that the flywheel is perfectly flat with no curve behind it. The transmission guy I use also confirmed this.

That's interesting, and good to know. I'm still trying to wrap my head around why "the flywheel surface needs to have a slight curve otherwise it will chatter", when for decades and decades and decades, clutch assemblies have been flat and work perfectly fine without chatter. Did you check the pressure plate and clutch disc (old and new ones) for perfect flatness as well?

Just curious about the other clutch components, because what good is a "curved" flywheel clutch surface without the disc and/or pressure plate being curved to match.
It's curved when torqued down correctly,and gotta love modern vehicles since it's there to reduce chatter and noise since newer vehicles are a lot quieter then your older vehicles. People complain about noise and why timing belts came around but advances in material and design are bringing the chains back.The curved surface is just a advancement brought on by customer complaints about noise and you get stuck with the higher cost when service is due for that convenience.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little does Chrysler know that those Jeep owners like us who have a manual trans could give a rats ars if the clutch made a little bit of noise. If you want a vehicle that drives girly-smooth, buy an automatic! ;)
The bean counters were counting the wrong beans on this one as far as I'm concerned. The bad outweighs the good.....for the consumer that is.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little does Chrysler know that those Jeep owners like us who have a manual trans could give a rats ars if the clutch made a little bit of noise. If you want a vehicle that drives girly-smooth, buy an automatic! ;)
The bean counters were counting the wrong beans on this one as far as I'm concerned. The bad outweighs the good.....for the consumer that is.
99% of Jeep owners would disagree,they want Bentley quality but pay Yugo prices.

Latest posts

Members online