Clutch/Dealership Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deknight

Reaction score
I have a 5 speed sport with 38000 miles on it. Lately the clutch has been slipping, especially when the transmission is hot. So I take it to the dealership and they tell me that I need a new clutch and that the old one is totally worn out. (I didnt think I drove it that hard...) The guy says that it will cost upwards of $1500 for the clutch kit and various other parts that the dealer needs to replace (I think it was the pressure plate or something), because its DC policy to replace them every time they replace a clutch. On top of that he says its going to take a week to get the parts.
So I call around to two other places and they quote me similar rates, 1200 and 1400, so I called the dealer and told him to do it since he already had it taken apart and I figure they know what they are doing.
So anyway its been a week and a half and when i call to get a status he tells me that the parts from DC did not include two bolts for the flywheel and its going to take 5 days to order them from Milwaukee. And apparently he can't reuse the old ones because it might throw off the balance of the flywheel.
Long rant I know, but I am pissed that its taking so long! The only real question I have for everyone is are these manual transmissions that rare that it is this hard to find parts for them? I am mad and I want to yell at them, but I have been giving them the benefit of the doubt (5 Star Dealership and all.....).
Anyway I just needed to vent. Thanks.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of those prices sound alittle high to me. I wouldnt think that the parts would be over $500. so that means they are charging $1000 for labor! ](*,)

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. If you're not happy with the way they are handling the job, you need to let them know. If they don't deliver as promised, they should at least be providing alternate wheels for you. If you're not satisfied, you should let DC know.

2. Don't the '04's have a 70,000 mile powertrain warranty?

3. Since you're so close to the 36,000 mile "bumper to bumper" warranty, you should ask for some pricing consideration. If you don't, they won't offer!

They didn't get to be a 5 star dealer by screwing their customers. You should discuss that with them.

dnm45227

Reaction score
roadrunner said:
They didn't get to be a 5 star dealer by screwing their customers.quote]

that reminds me. the last time i went to the dealer, the serivice rep told me i might get a survey and he even gave me an example of how he would like me to fill it out. i thought that was very clever, i'm inteligent enough to buy a jeep but can't manage a survey.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
roadrunner said:
1. If you're not happy with the way they are handling the job, you need to let them know. If they don't deliver as promised, they should at least be providing alternate wheels for you. If you're not satisfied, you should let DC know.

2. Don't the '04's have a 70,000 mile powertrain warranty?

3. Since you're so close to the 36,000 mile "bumper to bumper" warranty, you should ask for some pricing consideration. If you don't, they won't offer!

They didn't get to be a 5 star dealer by screwing their customers. You should discuss that with them.
No warranty covers wear items past 12k miles. The clutch is a wear item.

deknight

Reaction score
Yeah thats all everyone told me at the dealership when I bought it, but I kept telling myself that I can make a clutch last a long time considering all the cars I ever owned were manuals and I did pretty well with those. I will talk to the guy when i go pick it up and see what he has to say...

myjeepwalks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
All of those prices sound alittle high to me. I wouldnt think that the parts would be over $500. so that means they are charging $1000 for labor! ](*,)

I second that!! Sounds really high, this is a jeep not a bmw. The factory parts could go for about $500 after the dealer is finished marking them up 100% over list.. What's their labor rate? Off the top of my head i think the job only pays about 5 or 6hrs at the most. :-k Don't quote me on that though because i haven't looked up the times. O:) Either way i think that price is rediculous.

I've probably bought 5 clutches from this place over the years. I always bought the exedy's when available and never had a problem. http://www.clutchcityonline.com/jeep_liberty.htm He used to sell on ebay, dont know if he still does or not.

deknight

Reaction score
Yeah, this isn't the first time I have needed a new clutch. Well for this Jeep it is, the prices are kinda high in my area of california. The last time I needed a new clutch I went to Aamco and they charged me the same as I am being charged now. What I am really unhappy about is how long it took them to fix it, (exactly 2 weeks). It took them one week to order parts and another week to order two flywheel bolts, that had to be "new" he couldn't reuse the old ones because it could throw out the balance of the fly wheel. I am also mad that they mechanic used my jack and then didnt put it back and also used my first aid kit. I know because its in a bag and he didnt zip it back up or put it back in the little compartment where the cd changer goes. On top of that they didnt return my lugnut lock key. (I had them check my brakes and change the oil as well as the clutch). And of course when I called to yell at them they had just left for the night so I let their voice mail have it.

Anyway, to make a long story even longer, I got a call back the next morning. They found the lugnut key. At that point I wasn't in the mood to argue anymore. I just wanted everything back. This isn't the first time they have messed something up, the last time I got my oil changed they forgot to put the oil cap back on. When i got home and opened the hood I found it wedged between the battery and the fog light wires.

Needless to say i will not be going back to Normadin Chrysler/Jeep the "5 Star Dealership". Haha. Lets see if they call me this time to see how my service was. Something tells me they won't.

Thanks for listening!

myjeepwalks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured you were somewhere near san francisco with that pricing. Just be glad you weren't acutally in san fran. There is a dealer out there that i deal with for work, last time i talked to them they were $150 an hour labor rate!!!! My dealer here in NJ is $96hr and i think that's too much.

Your dealer should of overnighted those parts. There's no reason for them to make you wait 2 weeks for a clutch. Then the tech has the nerve to use your first aid kit?? For the prices these dealerships charge they should have a full time nurse on staff.

waggles2004

Reaction score
38,000 miles on a clutch, and it's gone already?!?!?!?! Holy crap! I got 117,000 miles on my Toyota 4x4 in heavy city driving before having to replace it, and I *learned* how to drive a stick shift with that same clutch too. Sheesh...makes me re-think the manual ****** when I look for my new Libby. Anyone else get so few miles on theirs?

deknight

Reaction score
I just read the service manual, and under the section for servicing the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel no where does it say they need "NEW" bolts for the Flywheel. It only says: Caution Use only Factory Bolts... so unless the pressure plate bolts were damaged he shouldn't of had to use new bolts. I new it, when I asked him why he couldn't just use the old bolts he gave me a line about how it could throw off the balance of the flywheel and that was just bad "mechanicship" (I am not kidding he said that). I new he didn't know what he was talking about. No wonder he couldn't find anyone who sold them, they probably don't expect anyone to use new ones. He made me wait a whole extra week for this BS.

Funny thing is, they called me last night to do the survey and I told him everything. he said he was going to email everything I said to the manager. I was tempted to call the manager myself, but at this point I am so tired of dealing with them.

Latest posts

Members online