Clockspring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntert98

Reaction score
Well, Ive finished the rack and pinion replacment.
Got in, turned it in and air bag light turns on

I thought i was carful, I had the sear belt wrapped around through the wheel (centered) so it could only move a small amount each way

After the steering shaft was back in and connected I turned the wheel to full lock each way to get at my lower ball joint grease fittings. I noticed from center i had the normal amount of turning to the left, but the right seemed to turn about 3/8 to 1/2 a turn more than normal. Most likely this is the point at which i broke the spring

But If I get a new spring and put it in, what would prevent this from happening a second time? The steering coupling is all lined up with the rack (little notch for the bolt) So i dont think its a centering problem

Also, I might want a shop to replace the spring, would it be alright to drive ~5 to a shop? I understand the airbag may not deploy/horn wont work

Thanks

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Driving shouldn't be a problem. Mine made a crinkly plastic sound when I broke it.

Not very hard to change but you'll need a steering wheel puller. Air bag has a yellow wire connector if I remember right.

The factory service manual has an error regarding clockspring installation. Manual says to make one extra turn after blue shows up in little window... DON'T do the extra turn or the new one will break. Warn the shop if you don't do it yourself. Newer clocksprings might be pinned in the right location.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I don't know about quality differences. My dog ate the steering wheel and I ate the clockspring. Replaced with a junkyard steering column and better dog.

Oh yeah... don't hammer on anything; steering column bearings are super sensitive.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new clock springs from Mopar come fully populated for air bags, cruise control, etc.

It comes with a white plastic locking pin....you remove this locking pin once you have fitted the assembly in place.

This is how I got a new part 4 years ago here in SA so your local dealers should have the same part!

Make sure you disconnect the battery first and clamp the loose positive lead to chassis for 20 minutes.

You need a two-claw puller to pull the steering wheel off...place a large nut on top of the spline shaft so the puller does not damage the thread inside the top of the shaft.;)