Clicking sound behind dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a clicking sound when moving the temperature with my ac. Works perfectly fine. Hot heat and ice cold AC. Just randomly started clicking when changing the temperature but stops once it gets to where I set it. By bet is on the temperature actuator or whatever it's called. Any pointers would be appreciated. Also my blower stopped working intermittently. Replaced the resistor and it worked. However my speaker was cutting in and out today and somehow one of my wires became un crimped. So i fixed that and bam no blower. Pulled the relay and it started working again. Bad relay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing anyone? I replaced my blower resistor and relay. Somehow there was a fuel pump relay in the spot for the blower. It was a 5 blade whereas the blower relay is a 4 blade.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing anyone? I replaced my blower resistor and relay. Somehow there was a fuel pump relay in the spot for the blower. It was a 5 blade whereas the blower relay is a 4 blade.

Normally a five blade relay just has a redundant terminal 87A that is normally closed and opens when energized or in some cases it connects internally to pin 87 so as to provide an extra spade connector to connect to. What year is your KJ so I can check in the wiring diagrams what relays should be where?

The heat control is controlled by a Blend Door...this is a Stepper motor that moves the heat controls to the correct position as determined by the heat controls. The vents themselves are controlled by engine vacuum.

You can read up on how the Blend Door works in the Service Manual for your year KJ downloaded here:

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

Quite hard to get to the mechanism so I would personally leave it until it fails completely!

Last edited:

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is an 02. Everything works fine just hear a clicking

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is an 02. Everything works fine just hear a clicking

Ok both the Blower Relay and the Fuel pump Relay should be identical 5 pin relays ie. 85 and 86 for the coil, 30 is common contact, 87 is Normally-open and closes when coil is energized, 87A is Normally closed and opens when coil is energized. Neither relay makes use of 87A.

If you download the 2002 KJ Service Manual in the link I provided....worth having it available at all times.....you can read up on the Blend Door and decide if you wish to pull it out and look for your "click".

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok both the Blower Relay and the Fuel pump Relay should be identical 5 pin relays ie. 85 and 86 for the coil, 30 is common contact, 87 is Normally-open and closes when coil is energized, 87A is Normally closed and opens when coil is energized. Neither relay makes use of 87A.

If you download the 2002 KJ Service Manual in the link I provided....worth having it available at all times.....you can read up on the Blend Door and decide if you wish to pull it out and look for your "click".

It almost sounds like something binding or rubbing

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SOLVED
when I pulled the dash to do the heater core I greased up the blend door motor and it no longer makes noises. Unsure if it was running against the broken heater core plastic or if it was the gears. All good now

Latest posts

Members online